Finding a crate that will actually keep your rambunctious dog contained is difficult. Flimsy models can be easily destroyed by determined pets, so we’ve reviewed only the sturdiest and settled on five of the best, including our number one choice, the Gelinzon Heavy Duty Dog Crate With Gable Style Top.
Advantages of Using a Dog Crate
Properly using a dog crate to confine your dog serves many purposes, all of which are aimed at keeping your best buddy safe. When used correctly, a dog crate:
- Provides your dog with a special place of his own where he will feel secure and relaxed.
- Is an excellent tool to accelerate the housebreaking process.
- Can be used in conjunction with other training to reduce unwanted behaviors while encouraging desirable ones.
- Caters to a dog’s natural denning instincts.
- Prevents your home and belongings from being damaged when you leave the house.
- Allows your dog to remain safely within the house instead of being tethered outdoors.
- Keeps your dog from getting into trouble or dangerous situations while you’re away from home.
- Is the safest way for a dog to travel by car.
- Permits your dog to be with your family without being underfoot all of the time.
What to Look For
Dogs with a history of escaping from ordinary crates or of hurting themselves while attempting to escape will benefit from a more sturdily constructed crate. Let’s go over important features to look for in a heavy-duty crate before you begin shopping.
Purchasing the correct size crate is crucial for your dog’s happiness and comfort. Your new crate should be tall enough for your dog to stand at full height and sit up straight without hitting his head. The crate should be wide enough that he will be able to turn around easily and lie down in a natural position.
Crates made entirely of thick metal components and heavy-duty welds will be much more durable for dogs bent on destruction. The slats or bars should be spaced close enough together that no paws or noses can be pushed through.
All materials should be non-toxic and rust-resistant.
Each door of the crate should have at least one (multiple is better) inaccessible latch to securely keep the door closed.
You might be surprised by how easily some dogs can learn to open latches within reach. The latch should have a hole through which a lock can be placed if needed.
Other features you might want to look for include:
- Wheels (casters) so that you have the option of moving the crate to another location. Bear in mind that some crates are quite heavy, so this feature could be a big plus.
- The ability to collapse or fold down compactly to make storing and traveling more convenient.
- A tray of either plastic or metal that sits below the floor of the crate to catch dropped food, shed hair, or any accidents your dog may have.
- A divider to make a smaller space for a young puppy.
What to Avoid
Dog crates constructed of wood, plastic, or flimsy wire are just not going to be sturdy enough to hold escape artists, rambunctious dogs, or those that love to chew and dig. If your dog falls into any of those categories, a heavy-duty crate is really the only way to go.
Steer clear of any crates made with sharp edges or potentially harmful chemicals. The risk of injury or sickness is not worth the lower cost of poorly constructed crates.
Crates made with slats spaced widely apart allow your dog to squeeze his muzzle or paw through and thus weaken the structure of the crate. They also may allow your dog to reach nearby dangerous objects, like electric cords. Not good.
When Not to Crate
Wisely using the crate for confinement can indeed help to protect your pet and restore some level of sanity to your hectic life, especially if you have a rather destructive dog. However, overuse or misuse of the crate can have a detrimental effect.
A crate should never be used as a form of punishment. Shoving your dog into the crate out of anger will only help him learn to fear you and to form negative associations with the crate. This will totally defeat the purpose of having a crate to start with. You want your dog to like his crate.
Energetic dogs need plenty of exercise. It’s just not fair to expect a dog to behave perfectly in his crate if he has not been given adequate exercise first, especially if he will be confined for an extended period.
- Looking for some tips on training your dog to like his crate? Check out this training video to get you started on the right track.
Our 5 Favorite Heavy Duty Dog Crates
All dog crates are not created equally. We’ve sorted through the top sellers and various designs to find the most durable, well constructed, heavy-duty crates available. After weeding out those that were lacking, we’ve narrowed it down to five of the best.
- ROOF DESIGN & METAL CONSTRUCTION: Gelinzon dog crate with roof design not only look better than...
- DOUBLE DOOR & LACHES DESIGN: This kennel features both top and side door access. It is not only...
- RUST & CORROSION RESISTANT: Featuring a multi-layer, protective hammer-tone coating that resists...
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE: The installation of dog cage is very simple so people usually can set up cage...
No need for your dog to sit uncomfortably hunched over in this gable topped crate. There’s headroom to spare and a convenient, additional door on top. With stainless steel and a multi-layer finish to guard against rust, this crate is designed with your dog’s security, safety, and comfort in mind.
- Innovative gable top gives your dog plenty of headroom to sit comfortably.
- Two doors, one in the front side and one on the roof.
- Sturdy stainless steel construction with a protective finish.
- Patented steel latches on doors.
- Crate is rust, corrosion, and fade resistant.
- Holds dogs up to 220 pounds.
- Four removable, rubber-wheeled, 360 degree rotating casters with silent bearings included.
- Each caster locks in place with a flip of a switch.
- Multi-layer, protective, non-toxic hammer-tone coating for long-lasting durability.
- Can be used indoors or outside.
- Two removable plastic trays underneath floor grate to catch any mess.
- Arrives partially assembled.
- Assembly usually takes less than ten minutes.
- Folds flat for storage.
- Bars of floor won’t stain, corrode, warp, rust, or retain odors.
- Retaining latch holds plastic trays securely in place.
- Backed by 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Shipping weight is 103 pounds – may require a helper to bring inside.
- 🐶Sturdy & durable frame：Use 20-gauge steel and reinforced 0.5” diameter steel tubes. Much...
- 🐶Easy to assemble: Most of the parts were pre-assembled, fit it with four wheels and ten screw...
- 🐶Anti-escape locks & double-access doors: Double upgrade bolt locks design for anxiety dog, keep...
- 🐶Easy to clean: The mesh tray allows dog food or excrement to fall off, metal tray helps you to...
This crate features a front door with two anti-escape locks and a hinged top door for convenience. Made from 20 gauge reinforced steel and steel tubing, this crate by Lemberi includes a slide-out metal tray and a removable floor grate so cleaning up won’t be difficult. This model will hold up to 300 pounds.
- Manufactured with reinforced 20 gauge steel, ½ inch steel tubes, and heavy-duty welded connections.
- Removable sturdy metal tray underneath floor grate includes a swivel bar to hold both tray and grate in place.
- Quick and easy to set up and take down.
- Ships partially assembled.
- Assembles with ten included screw bolts.
- Slide-out floor grate rests on welded steel bars for strength.
- Complete with a hinged door on top to allow for interaction between you and your dog.
- Two of the four removable casters can lock in place for additional stability.
- Environmentally friendly, non-toxic coating provides protection from rust and corrosion.
- Two anti-escape locks on front door.
- Available in 42 inch and 48 inch models and your choice of black or silver.
- Weight capacity of 300 pounds.
- Internal height of 29.75 inches.
- Covered by a 30-month manufacturer’s warranty.
- This crate is heavy with a weight of 88 pounds.
- 【Upgraded Plug Lock】Instead of a double locking mechanism, we applied the upgraded anti-escape...
- 【Escape Proof Design】The special Y-pattern design of the heavy duty dog crate makes a beautiful...
- 【Heavy Duty&Nontoxic】Our indestructible dog crates are made out of well welded steel bar. Sturdy...
- 【Easy to Install, Clean & Move】Our heavy duty dog kennel is shipped partially assembled. You...
The lovely cross-hatch design across the top adds a touch of elegance to this heavy duty crate by Smonter. Backed by a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty, the customer service of this company is said to be excellent. Made from reinforced steel, this crate features a non-toxic hammer-tone coating, anti-corrosion door latches, and rotating casters.
- Reinforced steel and heavy-duty welding.
- Two anti-corrosion door latches.
- Cross-hatching across top of sides to deter chewing.
- Sturdy, stylish, and secure.
- Multi-layer hammer-tone coating stands up to rust, corrosion, scratches, scuffs, and biting.
- Provides optimal visibility and ventilation.
- Arrives partially assembled.
- Pull-out plastic tray for the bottom included.
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Non-toxic coating for safety.
- Equipped with four 360 degree rotating casters, two of which can lock into place to prevent crate from moving.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
- Wide slats on bottom for your dog’s comfort.
- Space between sidebars is 2 inches.
- Available in brown or dark silver.
- Comes in three sizes and two levels of strength.
- Customers speak very highly of the company’s customer service.
- Collapsible for convenient storage.
- No rough edges.
- Wheels may be removed if you prefer.
- Only one door on this model.
- Weighs 63 pounds (the 38 inch model).
- ONE UPPER CAGE INCLUDED ONLY. Size: L 42.5" x W 28" x H 26"; Side Bar spacing: 1.15"; Floor Grid Bar...
- Four feeding doors with two feeding bowls provide more convenience to feed your pet; Lockable wheels...
- Package Includes: 1 divider, 1 Cage with screws and latches, 2 Feeding Bowls, 2 Trays, 4 Casters, 2...
- Removable divider panel allow you to adjust the cage size into two small or one big cage; Double...
Versatility is the best feature of this heavy-duty crate by Homey Pet. This customizable crate converts easily from a large cage into two smaller crates with the included divider. Multiple dogs are no problem as these specially designed crates can be stacked on top of each other to fit your needs.
- With divider panel, cage can be transformed from one big cage into two smaller ones (or vice versa).
- Two large doors in front and crate top opens fully as well.
- Four built-in feeding doors.
- Comes with two stainless steel feeding bowls that attach directly to the feeding doors.
- Metal floor grids can be removed for cleaning.
- Slide-out plastic trays can be set on top of floor grid for dogs with sensitive feet.
- Removable, lockable, heavy duty casters.
- Front door latches include hole for inserting a lock or carabiner clip if desired.
- Available in the “lower” size ( 33 inches tall) and the “upper” size (26 inches tall).
- May be stacked on top of one another or purchased as a set.
- Users complain that the latches could be more substantial.
- Top door may need to have an additional device added to prevent escape.
- Instruction booklet is confusing to some users.
- Dimensions: 33.75" H x 37" W x 25.13" L | Bar Spacing: 2.25''
- 20-Gauge Steel Cage – This ProSelect Empire dog cage is extremely strong with reinforced 0.5-inch...
- Medium-Sized Cage – (26 - 40 lbs)
- Floor Grate With Tray – Cleanup is easy with this ProSelect dog cage because of its grated floor...
Dogs who love to escape from ordinary crates may meet their match with this heavy duty crate by ProSelect. Solidly constructed with 20 gauge steel, reinforced with ½ inch diameter steel tubes, and secured with heavy duty welds, this crate is built to last. The removable casters allow the crate to glide smoothly despite its weight.
- Made from 20 gauge steel and reinforced steel tubes ½ inch in diameter.
- Strong, dual door latches.
- Heavy-duty welding at stress points.
- Grated steel floor with pull-out steel tray below to protect the floors of your home and make cleaning easy.
- Included casters can be attached to easily roll the crate to another location or left off to increase stability.
- Casters can lock in place when attached to prevent crate from moving.
- Tough hammer-tone finish stands up to abuse and resists rust.
- Available in medium and large sizes.
- Virtually indestructible and escape-proof.
- Easy to assemble.
- No sharp edges for dog to injure himself.
- No plastic components.
- Veterinarian approved.
- Weighs 75.2 pounds.
- Mega Ruffs Empire cage sleeping available, but only sold separately.
- Standard crate covers may not fit well.
- No crate divider.
- Does not collapse or fold, so not ideal for traveling.
- Not meant for small dogs.
We feel that a dog’s comfort is just as important as his safety. That’s why we chose the Gelinzon Heavy Duty Dog Crate With Gable Style Top as our top pick. Our other favorites are great options focusing on safety and security, but they just don’t offer as much headroom as that innovative peaked roof does.
Durable metal, indoor/outdoor use, rust-resistant, easy assembly, removable tray, double door latches, and convenient top door. The list of desirable features goes on and on. This sturdy crate won’t just keep your dog safe; it will keep him comfortable too.
Last update on 2021-01-26 at 04:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API