A sling is a convenient way to allow your dog to remain right by your side while leaving your hands free for other things. We’ll show you the five best options out there, including our favorite, the Alfie Pet’s One-Sided Mesh Sling and go over some features to look for.
Why Use a Carrier Sling?
Small dogs are often a bit nervous by nature. One way to help ease their anxiety is by keeping them close to you as much as possible. This is where the beauty of a carrier sling really shines. With a sling, your dog can stay snuggled up against your body where he feels the safest and most secure.
A sling also allows your pet access to many public places where he might not be allowed to enter otherwise. Public transportation, shops, and even some grocery stores may look the other way and allow you to enter if your dog is securely tucked away in a sling rather than on all four feet.
Little dogs tend to tire more quickly than larger dogs. Instead of leaving your little one behind for long outings, bring him and his sling along. When he gets too tired, pop him in the sling and continue on your way. Problem solved.
On busy sidewalks or outdoor events, your pup runs the risk of being accidentally stepped on (no wonder small dogs are sometimes nervous). Well, no chance of that occurring if he is riding comfortably by your side in a sling.
What Size Dogs Can Use a Sling?
You’ll soon discover that each sling has a maximum weight capacity clearly listed. While most slings are designed for dogs up to 12 pounds or so, there are some models available that can carry dogs closer to 15 – 20 pounds.
If your dog is toy or small size, a carrier sling will work nicely. For dogs exceeding 15 pounds, a backpack-style carrier may be a better option.
Please know that while many slings advertise as being suitable for dogs up to a certain weight, this does not necessarily mean that the product is safe for micro or teacup dogs who weigh less than five pounds.
These ultra-small dogs may get bounced around way to much inside a sling as you go about your day. You might consider contacting a seamstress to have a pouch sling specially created for your teeny tiny pup.
What to Look For
You, of course, want your four-legged baby to be safe and comfortable whenever he is riding in your sling, and there are features that will ensure just that. Here’s what to be on the lookout for:
A quality sling should feature some form of clip-on which to attach your dog’s leash. This prevents your dog from running away should he happen to hop out.
Other slings may have a short tether fixed to the sling that clips directly onto your dog’s collar or harness designed to keep your dog safely inside the sling.
Be aware that if he does try to hop out of the sling while tethered to his collar, he will be left dangling from the tether and could injure his neck, or worse. Using a harness is recommended, and highly excitable dogs may be safer foregoing this feature altogether.
Many slings have a zipper, snaps, or drawstring across the top that can be completely closed, partially closed, or left open so your dog can poke his head out for a look around. This is a terrific feature because it keeps your pet safely inside the sling while still allowing him the freedom to have his head out but poses far less risk of strangulation.
Strong, Yet Comfortable, Design
You’ll want a sling made from high quality, durable, washable fabric. Common materials include cotton, fleece, Oxford cloth, nylon, canvas, leather, and polyester. Models made from non-washable materials, like leather, should have a liner that can be removed for cleaning.
Thin, flimsy materials should be avoided.
Straps that are adjustable allow you to position the sling for a custom fit. This feature means that whether you are of average, tall, or short stature, the sling can be made to work for you without placing undue strain on your back or shoulders due to an improper fit.
A sling should be large enough for your dog to be able to turn around inside if he wishes. There should be plenty of room for him to lie down comfortably, and the sides of the sling should be slightly taller than his shoulders (when standing) to prevent him from accidentally falling out.
Measure your dog’s shoulder height, weight, and length and compare it to the sling’s specifications before you purchase to ensure a good fit and roomy interior.
Five Superior Dog Slings
After carefully reviewing dozens of carrier slings, we’ve narrowed it down to the five most secure, durable, comfortable, and stylish models available. Don’t just take our word for it though. Take a look for yourself at the fantastic features and chic designs of our five favorites.
Equipped with both a safety tether and a drawstring top closure, this stylish sling sports two large and three smaller pockets – favorite features among users. Three sides are made of soft, washable cotton, and the remaining side is made entirely of breathable, claw-proof mesh.
- The back side of sling is made of breathable mesh to be sure your pup receives plenty of air circulation.
- Holds dogs up to 20 pounds.
- Width of shoulder strap helps distribute weight over a broader region of your shoulder.
- Shoulder strap is well padded for comfort, is quilted so padding stays in place, and is completely adjustable.
- Includes interior safety tether.
- Features two large front pockets that span the width of the bag and three additional, smaller, side pockets.
- Mesh sides and top are claw proof for your pet’s safety.
- Top drawstring keeps your dog securely in the sling and allows him to ride with his head out.
- Flat, sturdy, solid bottom piece gives your dog a firm floor and adds stability to the sling.
- Bottom piece may be removed if desired.
- Some users report that unless a knot is added to the end of the adjustment strap, the strap tends to slip out of desired position.
Created for style, comfort, and security, this SlowTon Dog Sling could easily pass as a trendy tote bag. With safety features like an adjustable interior tether and a mesh drawstring top, this sling will keep your dog safely tucked inside while the padded support insert gives him a sturdy bottom on which to rest.
- Fully adjustable, the well-padded shoulder strap can be worn on either shoulder.
- Removable, padded, flat bottom board provides stability to the sling by preventing the sling from bunching up around dog and increases the interior space.
- Ergonomic bottom board is kidney-shaped to rest comfortably against your body.
- Holds dogs up to 9 pounds.
- Available in pink, gray, or black.
- Includes one front pocket and one strap pocket, both with zipper closure.
- Made with breathable cotton and mesh.
- Machine washable once bottom piece has been removed.
- Top of sling features adjustable drawstring to secure your pet.
- Internal safety tether is also adjustable for a custom fit.
- Shoulder strap is 3.15 inches wide to minimize discomfort.
- Bottom board gives your dog the option to stand up within the sling.
- Material is not waterproof.
- May not be ideal to use during very hot weather due to lack of side ventilation.
With not one, but two safety devices, this adjustable dog sling is packed with terrific features like an extra-wide ergonomic strap for comfort, waterproof materials, two pockets, and thick shoulder strap padding.
We think the best selling point is the incredible manufacturer’s warranty that offers a lifetime free replacement plus a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Constructed from durable, premium, waterproof materials that are suitable for year-round use.
- Two pockets to stash leash, phone, and other items – one on the strap itself and a larger one in the front.
- Features internal safety tether to clip to dog’s harness or collar.
- Lined with a mesh bag with drawstring top closure to secure dog inside while allowing for head freedom.
- Shoulder strap adjusts from 8.7 inches to 13.8 inches long.
- Simply pull buckle strap to shorten the length for a custom fit.
- Available in gray and navy blue.
- Capable of holding dogs up to 20 pounds.
- Ergonomically designed strap is extra wide to distribute weight over a larger area of your shoulder to prevent discomfort.
- Manufacturer offers a 30-day money-back satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime free replacement warranty.
- Only hand washing and air drying are recommended in order to preserve the waterproof qualities.
This cleverly designed sling features a mesh top and front side to ensure your dog won’t become overheated and is available in two sizes and five colors.
Safety features of the Yudodo dog sling include a reflective strip, a zippered top, an internal safety tether, and a head opening with a secure drawstring closure.
- Comes in gray base color with your choice of black, blue, green, orange, or pink accent color.
- Shoulder strap is fully adjustable with large, reinforced buckle.
- Recently redesigned zipper is more durable and includes a Velcro strap to prevent zipper from sliding open.
- Small size holds dog up to 5 pounds.
- Large size holds dog up to 10 pounds.
- Durable leather and mesh construction.
- Front and top of pouch are fully meshed to provide plenty of ventilation.
- Zippered mesh top flap has one opening on the end with a drawstring closure for dog’s head.
- Bright, reflective strip for visibility at night.
- One pocket on shoulder strap.
- Must be gently hand washed with mild soap and air-dried.
- Leather may need conditioner applied occasionally to keep it supple.
- Designed to only be worn over left shoulder with pouch on your right hip. Can not be switched to the other side.
Our favorite feature on this sling is the innovative snap button closure on top. You’re free to leave it fully open if you wish or close it up to only allow your dog’s head to pop out.
Designed to be comfortable and secure, this reversible sling is machine washable with a fully adjustable, extra-wide strap.
- Features four snap buttons across the top to keep your dog in place.
- Extra-wide strap is fully adjustable with two metal rings to fit any size user.
- Reversible sling is available in black or gray exterior with interior stripes or ruby exterior with interior orange and white dots.
- Constructed of durable cotton and polyester with strong, double stitching.
- Complete with side pocket with nylon zipper.
- Designed to hold pets between 8 and 14 pounds.
- Bonus water-resistant, drawstring carry bag, and bookmark included.
- Attached interior safety tether to clip to dog’s collar or harness.
- Machine washable.
- Suitable for year-round use.
- Manufacturer’s 90-day money back warranty.
- Can also be used for holding cats or rabbits.
- May not be suitable for use on extremely hot days due to the double layer of fabric.
- Users claim that hair and fur stick to the material and are not removed easily.
Quality carrier slings allow you to carry your small dog safely, comfortably, and discreetly while you go about your day. Slings should come equipped with at least one safety feature and be cozy enough that your dog will enjoy the ride. A touch of class never hurts either.
Of the five terrific models listed, one not only met our expectations but exceeded them as well. The stylish Alfie Pet’s One-Sided Mesh Sling is full of bonus features like dual safety precautions, five pockets, and a padded shoulder strap to provide a comfortable experience for you and your dog.
Last update on 2021-10-19 at 12:10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API