It’s hard to miss the bouncing yellow curls of a Goldendoodle – and it’s even harder to miss the masses of knots, dirt, and loose fur when they’re not properly groomed.
The best brush for Goldendoodles is one that can work through their wiry coats (without getting mangled in their luscious locks), can remove mats effectively, and leave their fur looking shiny and healthy after grooming is through.
But before we jump into our review of our favorite Goldendoodle brushes, let’s go over a few key elements of this unique breed’s physical characteristics and grooming information. (Want to know now? See our favorite brush on Amazon.)
A Goldendoodle’s Coat
Aside from the dashing cream and golden colors, a Goldendoodle’s coat can be curly, wavy, or straight – varying from dog to dog. Because their coats can range in texture, one Goldendoodles grooming needs may differ from another. Luckily, there is an expanse of brushes to deal with each coat type (but we’ll get to those momentarily).
No matter the texture of their coat, Goldendoodles are low-shedders and thus considered hypoallergenic. This can make grooming a little less cumbersome, as you won’t be dealing with the mountains of shedding hair that other breeds may produce.
Though hypoallergenic, Goldendoodles do have a double coat that easily traps natural debris such as dust, dirt, and twigs (if they roll around in the yard). Because of their dense and usually curly mane, they need to be groomed weekly, if possible.
The Various Brush Types
When it comes to the unique coat type of these dogs, different styles of brushes can come in handy for tackling a wide range of grooming tasks. It’s not a “one size fits all” with Goldendoodle brushes, so let’s take a look at the most common styles and their individual features and uses:
Slicker Brushes are designed for the sole purpose of tackling knots and removing the loose fur of dogs with thick or wiry coats. Though it can be used for all dog breeds, this brush is especially useful when grooming Goldendoodles, as the bundled, tiny wire pins are excellent detanglers. These brushes are best used as the first grooming tool.
Wire Pin Brushes
Somewhat similar to Slicker Brushes, Wire Pin Brushes are made with wire pins. The difference is that the pins on a traditional Wire Pin Brush are generally larger, more spread out, and have ends that are protected by rounded metal (as to not scratch your Doodle’s skin).
The main purposes of Wire Pin Brushes are to distribute natural oils along the length of the coat, lift any debris left from previous tools, and fluff the fur. We recommend using Wire Pin Brushes secondly when grooming your Goldendoodle.
Used for coat polishing and dander removal, Bristle Brushes are made with flexible, grouped bristles (sometimes made of animal hair). Rather than detangling, its main purpose is to smooth over the fur, leaving a sleek finish. Bristle Brushes are best used at the very end of the grooming process.
How to Groom a Goldendoodle Effectively
For those new to grooming (or for first-time Doodle owners), tackling a Goldendoodle’s wiry coat may seem daunting. But not to worry, in this section, we’ll be going over a few grooming tips to help you along.
Bathing Before Brushing
If your Goldendoodle is especially dirty, you’ll need to give them a bath. Shampoo the coat and rinse thoroughly to remove dirt. Be sure to finish the bath with some kind of conditioner to prevent additional knots and soften the existing mats.
Once your dog is dry, you can begin brushing out any tangles and remaining debris.
Brushing the Body
- Before you begin, it’s a good idea to run your fingers through the coat in order to pinpoint tangles.
- Gently brush through any mats with a Slicker or Wire Pin Brush in the direction of the hair growth.
- Once you’ve removed any debris and tangles, finish up with a Bristle Brush smooth-over to leave the cost looking silky.
Tending to the Face and Head
- Because of the sensitivities of the face, only groom the larger portions with a brush (and leave the more intimate areas to smaller combs). Here’s our favorite comb.
- The top and back of the head and neck can be groomed with a brush. Be sure to go slow, be comforting to your dog, and carefully remove all tangles.
- Avoid the eye areas. If your dog flinches, the pins or bristles of the brush may accidentally harm them.
Removing Debris and Knots
- If you can’t get a knot to budge, don’t pull, as you risk damaging your Goldendoodle’s skin. Instead, use cutters to remove it.
- Carefully handpick small twigs, burrs, and other natural debris from the coat. Pulling these with a brush would be extremely painful for your dog and may result in ripped fur.
- Though they shed little, be sure to collect and remove dead fur.
How Often to Groom a Goldendoodle
Because their coats are so thick, they attract dirt, other debris and create mangles like no other. Therefore, to keep your Goldendoodle well-groomed and knot-free, it’s a good idea to brush your pooch’s coat thoroughly once a week, after a bath.
If your dog is incredibly active and adventurous, you may want to brush them every other day to remove any debris buildup. This will make the complete head-to-toe grooming process less brutal down the road.
The Best Brushes for Goldendoodles Reviewed
- PROFESSIONAL QUALITY - This amazing brush has rounded corners that will not catch fur and has been...
- EASY TO USE - The stainless steel extra long pins on this brush penetrate deep into the coat. This...
- COMFORTABLE - The grips on this professional brush are comfortable and non-slip.
- WHY PAWBROTHERS - Founded on a single mission, to provide exceptional pet grooming supplies at...
The Paw Brothers Extra Long Hard Pin Slicker Brush is a professional-quality option, great for large dogs with double coats.
Unlike your average slicker brush, the pins on this brush are extra long (1 inch in length) to guarantee complete coat penetration for knot and debris removal.
The build of this brush is incredibly solid, made of hard plastics and stainless steel. On the handle are grips for non-slipping and a comfort-fit hold. And for the excellent quality and low price, this brush is practically a steal.
- Extremely high-quality, professional materials.
- An incredibly affordable price – a complete steal for the wonderful quality.
- Non-slip and comfort-fit handle technology.
- Extra-long pins compared to competitor slicker brushes to reach deep into the undercoat and remove knots.
- The wire pins are tough but partially flexible as not to scratch your Doodle’s skin.
- We have no complaints! This is an all-around excellent brush for Goldendoodles.
- ★ THE PERFECT BRUSH TO GET ALL NASTY MATS OUT OF YOUR PET’S FUR – Hertzko’s Slicker Brush...
- ★ GET RID OF MATS WITHOUT HURTING HER - The bristles are FINE bent wires designed to penetrate...
- ★ EASY TO CLEAN – When you’re done brushing your pet, Simply click the button and the bristles...
- ★ YOUR PET WILL NOT ONLY ‘LOOK’ GOOD BUT ‘FEEL' GREAT TOO! – Our brush Grooms and massages...
Though Goldendoodles don’t shed too terribly, the Hertzko Slicker Brush is a self-cleaning brush designed to make grooming easier and quicker.
The thin, curved pins of this brush were designed to penetrate deep into the topcoat and undercoat, removing even the most stubborn mats, dirt, and loosened fur. They’re also semi-malleable, making the brush more comfortable for your pet without pulling too much on their skin.
As we mentioned briefly, this is a self-cleaning Slicker Brush, manufactured with a button used to retract the pins (and thus, letting the fur fall off of the brush). Additionally, the handle has a grip designed for comfort and non-slip resistance as your groom your Goldendoodle.
- Affordable, especially for the great, lasting quality.
- Curved pins for effective debris removal in both the top and undercoats.
- Pins are flexible, making them less likely to scratch or pull on a Goldendoodle’s skin.
- Self-cleaning with a simple button release system.
- The handle is designed for comfort and keeps hands from slipping.
- Though not a deal-breaker, it’s for dogs of all sizes, meaning it’s a smaller-sized Slicker brush and won’t be able to cover large areas.
- PALM BRUSH FOR DOGS: This dog brush features 50% natural boar & 50% synthetic bristles that move...
- EASY TO USE: ConairPRO Dog & Cat Pet-It brushes are made to fit seamlessly in the palm of your hand....
- PET GROOMING SUPPLIES: Grooming your cat or dog is easy when you have the right tools. We make...
- MADE TO LAST: ConairPRO Dog & Cat pet grooming tools are designed with high-quality materials for...
The Conair PRODog Bristle Brush is a high-quality, innovative grooming tool. Its palm-petting brush shape comfortably fits in the hand and allows the owner to make a petting movement, calming nervous dogs and puppies and giving the groomer the utmost control.
This brush is constructed with a combination of corse, natural Boar hair, and synthetic bristles to evenly smooth over your Goldendoodle’s coat no matter its consistency. Though the bristles are strong enough to comfortably pull the fur, they’re not overly soft or hard as to be ineffective or scratch your pet’s skin.
Overall, this is an effective, affordable Bristle Brush for distributing naturally-occurring oils across your Goldendoodle’s coat, removing dust and dead skin, and smoothing down scruffy fur.
- Extremely budget-friendly.
- Made of tough hard plastics, corse natural Boar hair and synthetic bristles.
- Great for distributing natural oils, making your dog’s coat sleek and shiny.
- Removes dirt and dead skin cells.
- Unique palm-petting shape for the comfort of your pet and control while grooming.
- The unconventional shape of this brush may not be preferred by those who like the control of an average brush handle.
- GREAT PIN AND BRISTLE BRUSH FOR ALL COATS. The double sided brush ensures the right comb regardless...
- COMFORTABLE GROOMING. The rounded ends on the pin brush makes it easy and comfortable for dogs and...
- EASY AND FAST GROOMING. With the bristle side easily knock off loose hair and dirt while getting a...
- GET RID OF MATS AND LOOSE HAIRS. The bristles are a soft yet firm nylon with rounded pins designed...
A 2-in-1 option, the GoPets Professional Brush is a double-sided grooming tool with a combination of bristles and wire pins.
The wire side of the brush contains large, wire pins with metal ball tip covers, preventing scratches and making the grooming process as comfortable for your pooch as possible. The pins are strong enough to penetrate deep into the undercoat and remove tangles effortlessly.
Alternatively, the bristle side consists of wide, synthetic bristles that brush off dirt, distribute oils, and whisk away any loose fur left behind by the Wire Pin.
The handle of this brush is covered in a silicone gel to prevent hand slipping and keep the user comfortable no matter how long they groom.
And for your contribution, GoPets donates a portion of their financial gains to no-kill shelters and animal rescues and charities.
- A high-quality, 2-in-1 option at an affordable price.
- Made with tough, but flexible bristles to grab dirt, loose fur, and distribute protective skin oils.
- Wire pins are thick, and ball-tipped to prevent scratching and penetrate deep into even the thickest of coats.
- Manufactured with a comfort-fit gel silicone handle conforms to the hand to prevent slipping or cramping.
- A portion of their profits goes to animal shelters and charities.
- The wire pins are tough, even after years of use they stay in place and won’t fall out in mass like other wire pin brushes made with plastic pins.
- If your Goldendoodle punctures and/or consumes the gel-filled handle cover, it could be hazardous to their health. Never leave this brush unattended and always store it after grooming.
- Removes tangles, dirt and loose hair
- Stimulates skin and hair follicles
- Helps spread natural oils through the coat to promote growth & healthy looking hair
- Pinhead bristles for greater pet comfort during grooming
If your concerns revolve around tangles primarily, the Andis Premium Pet Grooming Pin Brush may be your best bet.
This brush is designed specifically for big dogs with thick coats. The large rounded-tip pins are smooth, preventing itchiness while grooming and strong enough to grab and untangle knots without knicking the skin.
It’s affordable, gentle on even sensitive Doodles, great for loosening knots and removing dead fur.
- A budget-friendly Wire Pin Brush.
- Made with large, rounded-tip pins that are gentle on the skin but tough on tangles.
- Great for if your primary concern is detangling during grooming.
- The glue that holds the brush together can come undone with heavy use.
A Goldendoodle’s thick, unruly coat can only be managed by tough grooming tools. The best brush for a Goldendoodle is one that can tackle stubborn tangles, without pulling or scratching the skin, remove debris, and hold up to the task at hand without being flimsy – all without breaking the bank. Though we feel that all of our choices would make wonderful brushes for Goldendoodles, our favorite brush is the Paw Brothers Extra Long Hard Pin Slicker Brush. It’s made of professional-quality materials, extra-long pins to reach deep into the coat and remove knots, and collect loose fur. And for the amazing durability, this is a budget-friendly option that you’ll get more than your money’s worth from.
If you’re looking for a universal grooming brush, we recommend the GoPets Professional Double-Sided Wire Pin and Bristle Brush. It consists of two different brushes, the Wire Pin Brush and the Bristle Brush to not only remove debris, dead fur, and detangle knots, but also to smooth over flyaways, distribute natural skin oils and dust away dirt.
We hope we were able to help you understand the uses of the different brushes used in grooming and determine the best option for your Goldendoodle!
Last update on 2020-09-24 at 12:18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API