Pit Bulls have quite a strong and stubborn bite. And, if you’re a pit owner, you know just how often this shows in their play – stuffing scattered everywhere, balls torn to pieces, snapped tug ropes… sound familiar?
Luckily for Bully owners, there are some high-quality, indestructible dog toys for Pit Bulls available, just waiting to be played with by a rambunctious Pitty. Here’s our #1 pick, but we’ve included more below, so be sure to check them out as well.
But before we jump into our review, let’s go over a few characteristics that necessitate sturdy toys.
A Pit Bull’s Bite and Strong Jaws
As we mentioned briefly in the introduction, Pit Bulls have a powerful bite.
Putting out nearly 300 pounds of pressure, it’s no wonder durable toys are needed during Pitty playtime. Along with the pressure, and unlike most other dog breeds, a Pit Bull’s jaws were also selected over generations of breeding to simply not let go (source). That means when your Bully gets ahold of their favorite toy, they’re not releasing until it’s either in pieces or they get bored and move on.
Which brings us to our next point…
Like their tightly-locked jaws, a Pit Bull’s aggressive disposition was also cultivated throughout decades of selective breeding. These selected traits have notably led Pittys to be one of the most aggressive domesticated dogs in the world (source).
It’s that natural tendency towards aggression that carries over to toys during playtime. And a combination of strong jaws and animalistic anger is a recipe for destroyed stuffed bunnies.
Aside from the physical and potentially negative characteristics of Pit Bulls, another reason for tough toys is their seemingly endless amounts of energy.
Being a member of the terrier dog breeds, it’s only normal for a Pitty to need a lot of exercise to burn off their energy. And if your dog isn’t getting enough (or if they’re just young and bafflingly spry) then they could take out their pent up energy on their toy box.
This is yet another reason why durable toys are your best bet for lasting playtimes and fewer burned holes in your pockets.
Pit Bull Toys: Dos and Don’ts
Now that we’ve gone over a few of the physical and mental attributes that require heavier duty Pitty toys, let’s go over some Dos and Don’ts when it comes to Pit Bulls and toys:
- Seek out toys made specifically with large, strong dogs in mind.
- Look for tug-of-war toys made of extra thick rope and other sturdy materials rather than just an average tug toy.
- Get hard, rubber balls and chew toys. These are difficult to rip, great for exercise, and won’t pose a choking hazard to your Pitty.
- Buy toys that are suitable for a Pit Bull’s size. It goes without saying that small toys won’t hold up to hefty Bully dogs.
- Remove shredded toys from your dog immediately. Never leave small pieces lying around.
- Buy plush toys with beaded noses and eyes. These are far too soft for a Pit Bull and will most likely be shredded in a matter of minutes. Additionally, the beads are a choking and/or swallowing hazard.
- Give your Put Bull toys that have squeakers in them. These are already choking hazards for dogs of every breed; and with the determination of Pitty’s, it’s practically guaranteed that you’ll find the squeaker in their mouth.
- Give your Pitty conventional sports balls such as basketballs, tennis balls, soccer balls, volleyballs, etc. These can be punctured and chewed extremely easily and may pose various hazards to your pup.
- Leave your Pit Bull unattended – no matter what toy they’re playing with. They are tenacious dogs and will destroy their toys (and possibly swallow them).
- Buy hard toys with large gaps. Toys like these can get stuck on your Pitty’s jaw, behind their teeth, and may require removal by a vet.
Our Favorite Indestructible Dog Toys for Pit Bulls
- INSTINCTUAL NEEDS: The KONG Extreme black rubber toy helps satisfy dogs' instinctual needs and...
- FETCH TOY: The KONG Extreme's unpredictable bounce makes for exciting games of fetch and other...
- POWER CHEWING DOGS: The KONG Extreme black rubber formula is created for power chewing dogs.
- GREAT FOR STUFFING: The stuffable KONG Extreme is even more enticing when stuffed with kibble,...
Founded in the 1970s, KONG has since been a leading manufacturer in rough and tough dog toys – and their Extreme Rubber Dog Toy is the epitome of their company.
KONG’s original pooch product, this resilient toy has stood the test of time, withstanding hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of heavy-chewing dogs. It’s made of thick, durable black rubber materials that hold up to sharp teeth and jaws without puncturing; and its snowman shape leads to an unpredictable bounce when thrown, making it perfect for curious and rambunctious Pit Bulls.
The build of this toy also allows for easy stuffing, so you can give your Pitty a challenge and a treat for their undeniable instinctual determination. And to make things even better, it’s dishwasher safe. So no matter what treat lies inside, sanitation is quick and simple.
It’s available in three different sizes that would all potentially work for Pit Bulls of ranging weights and chewing abilities: Large (for dogs 30-65 pounds), X-Large (for dogs 60-90 pounds), and XX-Large (for dogs 85 pounds or more – or Pitty’s with overly eager biting abilities).
- Affordable, especially for the quality.
- A toy that has stood years of the harsh test of doggy playtime.
- Comes from a reputable dog toy company, trusted for nearly 50 years.
- Recommended by vets for heavy chewers.
- It can be stuffed with treats for an entertaining and challenging puzzle and, afterward, easily cleaned in the dishwasher.
- Made of strong, natural rubber materials that won’t harm your Pit Bull.
- While this is an incredibly strong toy, it still has weaker (though not flimsy) spots in the grooves. Experienced shredders may be able to tear the smaller top off.
- FREE POOP BAG ROLL & EXTRA LARGE DOG ROPE TOYS FOR XL DOGS - SUPER TOUGH BUT NOT INDESTRUCTIBLE DOG...
- SAFETY TESTED AND PASSED ASTM F-963 CHILDRENS TOY SAFETY STANDARDS & LIFETIME GUARANTEED–Your dog...
- PERFECT COMBINATION OF DOG TOYS FOR TUG, CHEWING, AND SHAKING – tough dog toys that withstand...
- DESIGNED FOR LARGE DOGS AND AGGRESSIVE CHEWERS – ALTHOUGH DURABLE, THESE TOYS ARE NOT INTENDED TO...
When it comes to dogs, and especially hyperactive Pit Bulls, there’s nothing like a game of Tug-of-War. But average ropes just don’t cut it for heavy chewers – and that’s where this set of three XL Dog Rope Toys for Aggressive Chewers comes in.
These rope toys are made of high-quality, thick rope that can put up with even the toughest chewers, tuggers, and shakers. This durable set has even been safety tested and met children’s safety standards so that you can have peace of mind as your pup (or pups) plays.
For three strong ropes and a ball for fetching, this set is incredibly affordable. Not to mention, some of the proceeds go towards helping shelter dogs get food, shelter, and permanent homes.
- An affordable set of tug toys, even for those who may be on a budget.
- Your contribution helps shelter dogs get food and shelter at Pacific Pup Rescue in California.
- Set includes 3 sturdy Tug-of-War toys and a ball made for large, aggressive chewers.
- Met child safety standards for toys.
- It comes with a 100% Money Back Guarantee.
- Each rope is 2+ feet long and 2 inches thick for maximum strength and hold.
- Though made for large, aggressive chewers, these rope toys were not designed to be completely tear-proof. Over time, as with all toys, these ropes will begin to show wear.
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - our unique rubber formula is made from the toughest, industrial strength...
- AGGRESSIVE CHEWER APPROVED - this industrial strength natural rubber ball has been tested and...
- PERFECT SIZE - The size of a baseball (7cm diameter) makes it easy to throw and the perfect size for...
- 100% SAFE & NON-TOXIC - We take great care to make sure our dog toys are made of natural rubber that...
Perfect for our list, Monster K9 Dog Toys’ Indestructible Dog Ball is a 100% natural, non-toxic ball made of tough, industrial-strength rubber. It’s puncture-resistant and has been tested on a variety of large, heavy-chewing dogs including Bull Mastiffs, German Shepherds, and of course, the Pit Bull.
This ball is roughly the size of a baseball (yet far more durable), making it great for playing fetch and the ideal size for Pit Bulls on either end of the weight spectrum (anywhere from 30 to approximately 65 pounds).
While it’s unlikely that your Pit will shred this ball, you can expect teeth marks to be left behind.
- The ball is made by Monster K9 Dog Toys, a brand dedicated to and trusted to bring pet owners tough, indestructible toys.
- The ideal size for Pit Bulls.
- Great for playing fetch.
- Tried and tested by thousands of large dog breeds
- Teethmarks and small, missing chunks can be expected from this ball if your Pitty is an unusually aggressive chewer. As with all toys that are faced with Bully’s, minor destruction isn’t impossible.
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Made from a unique rubber formula that compares to the strongest rubber...
- AGGRESSIVE CHEWER APPROVED - this industrial strength natural rubber chew toy has been tested and...
- SMOOTH SURFACE - designed with a perfectly smooth rubber surface allows for better flight and allows...
- 100% SAFE & NON-TOXIC - Our unique rubber compound is made from natural rubber and 100% safe...
Yet another tough dog toy from Monster K9, this Indestructible Dog Frisbee will have your Pitty running laps for hours on end.
Unlike hard plastic dog frisbees, this frisbee is constructed with industrial-strength natural rubber (the same grade of rubbers that are used in automobiles and heavy equipment). It’s 100% non-toxic and safe for your Pit Bull to bite, chew, and mangle – and it’s puncture-resistant.
Like all of their other dog toys, this frisbee has been tested on massive, aggressive-chewing breeds (including Pit Bulls) and passed with flying colors.
The surface of this toy is completely smooth, allowing it to better fly through the air at longer distances. With the lightweight, but heavy-duty design and promise of a 100% Money-Back Guarantee if you’re not satisfied, this could possibly be the Pitty toy you’ve been searching for.
- Sleek, aerodynamic design allows the frisbee to smoothly fly for long distances.
- Made by a brand dedicated to creating the roughest, toughest toys for “behemoth” (as they put it) sized dogs.
- Tear and puncture-resistant.
- Affordable price, especially for the industrial-strength and quality of the rubber.
- 100% Non-toxic and natural.
- Won’t shatter when chewed on like conventional dog frisbees.
- Edges may tear over time with constant use.
- Age Range Description: Adult
- Included Components: Nylabone Flavor Frenzy Power Chew Dog Toy Bacon, Egg and Cheese Flavor...
If you’re looking for a toy that will not only satisfy your Pitty’s instinctual need to chew but other senses as well, the Nylabone Flavor Frenzy Giant Dog Chew Toy may be your best bet.
Made with irresistible flavors such as bacon, eggs, and cheese, these bones appeal to your dog’s sense of smell and taste as they chew – all without calories.
These bones come in 2 sizes that would work best for Pit Bulls or Pit Bull varieties: Large (for Bully’s up to 50 pounds) and X-Large (for dogs 50 pounds or heavier). The consistency is hard material rather than a flimsy rubber, which makes this toy more difficult to shred.
- Manufactured by a company trusted by dog owners for nearly 70 years.
- Flavors and scents encourage your dog to participate in healthy chewing behaviors.
- An affordable option for those who may be on a budget.
- Made specifically for large dogs that are heavy chewers.
- It contains zero calories.
- Not flimsy – won’t easily tear apart.
- It will last many months, even with the most extreme chewers.
- Extremely hard toy. Some Pit Bulls may not be interested in toys that don’t provide any give.
When it comes to toys for Pit Bulls, soft, fluffy things just won’t make the cut. Because of their strong jaws and determined chewing, Bully’s require heavy-duty toys made specifically with their needs in mind.
After reviewing 5 of the best indestructible toys for Pit Bulls, we’ve come to love the Kong Extreme Rubber Dog Toy. From building decades of trust to trials on thousands of dogs, this toy has stood the test of time. It’s made of strong, natural rubber materials, it’s erratic bouncing will entice your Pit Bull’s playfulness, and it’s affordable.
It’s an all-around great option, in our opinion but, as with all things, the toy that is best for your Pit Bull is entirely dependant on their strength, size, chewing habits, and play interests. Regardless of which toy suits your dog best, we hope we were able to give you some insight on the most indestructible dog toys for Pit Bulls!
Last update on 2020-09-25 at 12:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API