It is common knowledge that dogs deserve the best treatment possible. This means all the cuddles, love, best food, and the best cleaning.
A Goldendoodle in particular is the ultimate companion, best friend, and addition to a family.
Yet as wonderful as they can be, nothing is worse than a smelly dog or an overly matted dog.
Bathing your Goldendoodle properly is essential for keeping their gorgeous coats in the best condition possible (as well as making your cuddle sessions more worthwhile).
Whether their coat type is straight, curly, or wavy, (complete explanation of coat types here) their fur must be treated accordingly to make both their life and your life a lot easier in terms of hairy maintenance.
The most important things to look out for when choosing a shampoo for your Goldendoodle include:
- Certified organic products with natural ingredients.
- No added harsh chemicals.
- pH balanced and vet approved.
- Whether you prefer a scent.
- Whether you prefer a product to be cruelty free and/or made in the USA.
We have compiled a list of the best shampoos for Goldendoodles, ranging from handy 2-in-1 formulas to the more luxurious bottles, to help you find the best shampoo for your Goldendoodle.
We have also included a buyers’ guide and FAQ for any unanswered questions.
Looking for a complete guide to Goldendoodles for answers to all your questions?
You’ll find exactly what you’re looking for in our book, The Owner’s Guide to the Perfect Goldendoodle.
It covers everything from preparing for your pup to training to health concerns to grooming and so much more!
It will become your go-to book for answers you can depend on – the book you’ll turn to again and again.
These are some of our favorites!
|Paws & Pals 5-In-1 Oatmeal Dog Shampoo,...||Check Price on Amazon|
|Sofee & Co. Natural Dog Puppy Shampoo, White Pear...||Check Price on Amazon|
In a rush?
Our top pick is the Burt’s Bees for Dogs All-Natural Tearless Shampoo and Conditioner.
This 2-in-1 bottle offers a complete natural list of ingredients, including buttermilk and linseed oil, leaving your pup’s coat smooth and healthy.
Whilst the bottle says this 2-in-1 is for puppies, it is definitely suitable for grown up Goldendoodles and other dogs too!
It is completely safe and free of unnecessary fragrances or harsh chemicals, which is ideal for dogs with sensitive skin.
The 2-in-1 formula means that the coat will be both cleaned, conditioned, and softened – which is ideal for dogs with curlier hair.
Burt’s Bees products are also made from 80% post-consumer recycled bottles, so this product is very environmentally friendly. What a bonus!
Review of The Best Shampoo for Goldendoodle
The Burt’s Bees 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner is a must-have for Goldendoodles.
This all-natural formula, made from buttermilk and linseed oil, is designed to create a gentle and smooth finish to any dog’s coat.
This formula is also perfect for dogs with sensitive skin or owners who want to prevent any form of allergic reaction as it is mild and pH balanced as well as free from additional fragrances or chemicals.
This is perfect for Goldendoodles, as their natural skin contains essential oils that keep their coats smooth and healthy already, so any unnecessary extra chemicals could affect that.
As a dog’s coat is such a huge part of their being, it is important to not strip natural oils or proteins with sulfate-filled shampoo, which this formula does not contain.
- Affordable and environmentally friendly packaging.
- Chemical and fragrance free.
- Vet approved and recommended.
- 2-in-1 formula both cleans and softens coat.
- This formula is scentless, but this comes down to personal preference.
- Shampoo does not lather as there are no sulfates, which may confuse some owners.
Other Great Shampoo for Goldendoodle
- Keep Your Dog Fresh And Clean With The Delicious Sweet Pea Vanilla Scent! Get Rid Of The Wet Doggy...
- Ph Balanced! The Best Shampoos Are Between 5.00-7.00 On The Ph Scale In Order To Keep The Vibrant...
- Hypoallergenic Formula Is Safe For Use With Topical Flea Control Treatments. Healthy Breeds...
- Buy With Confidence! Made In The Usa! All Shampoos Made In Federally Regulated Manufacturing...
The Healthy Breeds dog shampoo is ideal for owners who hate the wet dog smell.
The sweet pea and vanilla scent is the main feature of this shampoo, creating a delicate and fragrant smell without losing out on the other benefits a shampoo should offer.
The formula is hypoallergenic, soap free, and full of essential acids to prevent flaky skin.
The pH is well balanced and will not strip your dog’s coat, instead leaving a silky and glossy shine to your pup.
This shampoo is affordable for its uses and longevity as this shampoo foams, so a little will go a long way (depending on the size of your dog!).
- Affordable considering most dogs are washed once a month at most.
- Hypoallergenic and pH balanced.
- Scented to cover the wet dog smell, perfect for cuddling.
- Does contain essential acids that their natural skin already produces.
- Just a shampoo formula so will only act in the way a shampoo does; it will not condition.
- THE MOST EFFECTIVE NATURAL PET SHAMPOO FOR YOUR LOYAL COMPANION: Our Pet Wash Shampoo is a premium...
- QUALITY SHAMPOO FOR YOUR DOG WITHOUT COMPROMISE: Your dog is a loving member of your family, does he...
- NOURISHING FORMULA: Our shampoo includes oatmeal, which will help moisturize and soothe itchy skin....
- TEAR-FREE SOAPLESS FORMULA TURNS BATHTIME INTO PLAYTIME: Our tear-free formula is the result of...
This impressive shampoo provides five functions in one; it shampoos, conditions, detangles, moisturizes, prevents itching, and is anti-odor.
Completely vegan and organic, this shampoo really does it all.
Made with oatmeal, the formula is a natural conditioner and moisturizer, which is ideal for relieving itchiness and dry skin.
Other natural ingredients include aloe and pro-vitamin B5 for a natural protective barrier for your pet’s coat.
These are also great ingredients for preventing or healing itchiness and red/sore spots.
The tear-free element means it is not designed to irritate your dog’s eyes or other sensitive areas, and is entirely soapless – great for indoor and outdoor washing alike!
There is also a gentle aroma, as it does contain artificial fragrance.
- Organic ingredients, vegan, and made in the USA.
- Affordable and as effective as a paid grooming session.
- Does include artificial fragrances, which does create a nice aroma.
- Always check to see if your dog is allergic to any ingredients, as not all dogs can work with oatmeal.
- CLEAN, NOURISH, PAMPER - Our premium natural ingredients and hand selected scents are designed to...
- MOISTURIZE, SOOTHE, SOFTEN - Relieve dry, itchy, flaky and sensitive skin with our gentle and...
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - No parabens, sulfates, mineral oils, phthalates or artificial dyes.
- SMALL FAMILY OWNED COMPANY of dog lovers.
The most expensive on our list at around $20 a bottle, the Sofee & Co. shampoo is definitely the most luxurious.
With three different fragrances (white pear, pomegranate, and English rose) and natural ingredients, this is definitely a spoil-your-pup kind of purchase.
The organic ingredients include no sulfates, artificial colorings, parabens, or mineral oils, allowing for a nontoxic shampoo.
It is also made in the USA from a small family business and is cruelty free.
This shampoo is ideal for long-haired dogs with a dry or curly hair type, as it works to detangle and soften dry or flaky skin and hair.
For its price, this is definitely a good quality purchase for your dogs, as the gentle aroma lasts several days and has enough product to last.
- Luxurious and a good treat for your dog’s coat.
- Natural ingredients, made in the USA, and cruelty free.
- Ideal for long-haired dogs with a curly or dry texture.
- The most expensive on our list if budget is an issue.
- Say goodbye to dry, itchy, flaky skin – Our oatmeal shampoo for dogs with soothing aloe offers a...
- Aloe & oatmeal formula – Relieves dry, itchy skin while leaving the coat and fur clean, shiny and...
- Fresh clean smell of ripe melon & cucumber – Our great smelling aloe and oatmeal shampoo is...
- Vet approved & made in the USA – Safe for dogs, cats and horses of all ages! We manufacture all...
This oatmeal and aloe vera shampoo is ideal for dogs with dry, flaky and itchy skin.
NuLife’s hypoallergenic formula is designed to clean and moisturize the coat whilst healing and rejuvenating any dry or broken skin.
For those who hate the wet dog smell, this shampoo has a fresh melon and cucumber aroma.
Whilst it is advertised for dogs, it is also usable for other animals, such as cats and horses, and is completely vet approved for this.
The aloe vera gel ingredient is a wonderful natural ingredient for healing, anti-itching, and preventing dryness.
It is also said to stop shedding, which is probably from the healing properties of the oatmeal and aloe vera which strengthens hair follicles.
Wait, Goldendoodles don’t shed, right? Or do they? Find the answer here.
- All organic and natural ingredients.
- Aloe vera provides a natural healing ingredient.
- Fresh melon and cucumber aroma to mask the wet dog smell.
- Made in the USA and vet approved.
- The second most expensive on our list.
If you love Goldendoodles as much as we do, you’ll love checking out our 35+ articles about these amazing dogs. Click here to see them all.
Why You Should Buy Shampoo for Your Goldendoodle
Goldendoodle coats can vary in type, but underneath it all is a sensitive skin that needs to be cleaned with the help of their human.
Whilst their skin naturally produces oils and moisture, this isn’t enough to keep their fur in perfect shape.
Human hair of any texture needs regular cleaning, so imagine what is required when that hair covers an entire body.
Not only is a clean and healthy coat good for your dogs, but they deserve to feel fresh.
You will need to purchase a shampoo that is ideal for your dog, which may include trial and error as each dog will have specific requirements, and this buyers’ guide is here to help you with that.
Goldendoodles have three types of coat: straight, wavy, or curly.
This is because the designer hybrid has the hair qualities of both parents – a Golden Retriever and a Poodle – so their coat is naturally going to need taming.
They also can have coats in several colors, such as cream, dark, brown, black, or orange. (Learn more about Goldendoodle colors here.)
Fortunately, generally most Goldendoodles do not shed much as Poodles don’t shed, which makes bath time a lot easier as there is less cleaning up to do!
All dogs are different, as we know, and all require different needs.
No dog is 100% hypoallergenic, so whilst Goldendoodles are usually a good dog choice for those with mild allergies, this does not mean their coat doesn’t need maintenance.
All dogs will also have dead skin cells, sloppy saliva, and other smelly things that they will naturally pick up on walks, so a monthly wash is good for their hair even if it doesn’t look or smell too grubby.
Goldendoodles with a darker fur color will show if their skin is flaky, which makes judging their next bath or the quality of a shampoo easier, but this also applies to dogs with a lighter hair color.
If your dog has a curly hair type, it may be worth purchasing a hair brush or comb designed to detangle dog hair to prevent matting.
Personally, I use this slicker brush on my own Doodles and wouldn’t trade it for the world. It really gets the job done nicely without hurting the dogs at all.
Pair that brush with a detangling conditioner for wet or dry hair, and grooming is a breeze!
This also could be useful for the wavy or straight coat types too, as each dog is individual and may need a specific grooming technique.
|Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush – Gently...||Check Price on Amazon|
|Cowboy Magic Concentrated Detangler and Shine...||Check Price on Amazon|
Dog skin naturally provides essential oils to keep their coats healthy, as their hair is one of their main lines of defense.
It is therefore not recommended to purchase shampoo formulas that contain unnecessary additional chemicals such as:
- Sulfate: this produces the typical shampoo bubbles, but can cause irritation.
- Artificial or synthetic fragrances or colors: can create allergic reactions or permanent health issues or damage such as cancer.
- Preservatives such as paraben or formaldehyde: can create itching, burning, irritation, or blistering of skin.
- Mineral oil: stops the skin from producing its natural essential oils.
Of course, it isn’t easy to spot these on the list of ingredients.
We recommend looking out for certified organic shampoos from a trusted brand, perhaps with soothing ingredients such as oatmeal and aloe vera, and avoiding those with GMO ingredients and anything artificial.
Picture this – you have just been on a muddy, wet, or generally smelly walk with your dog.
You give them a wash and now they have that awful wet dog smell (unless you like that aroma), and you can’t decide whether it was a good decision or not.
Buying scented shampoos is a personal choice, obviously one the owner has to make according to what they want to smell and what will not affect their dog’s coat.
The golden rule is to make sure the shampoo scent is not made from artificial fragrances, as this could create allergic reactions.
Certified organic shampoo scents such as fresh vanilla, cucumber, rose, or fruits, are great for masking the wet dog aroma for several days at a time.
How to Wash Your Dog
How you choose to wash your dog is totally up to you. Some owners may use a bathtub for their dogs.
Some may prefer the old spray-them-with-a-hose outside method. This all depends on how much mess you are prepared to deal with!
The bonus of having shampoos that don’t contain sulfate means there are no suds to wash away afterwards, so that can be ticked off the messy aftermath list.
Just be sure to avoid your dog’s eyes, nose, and sensitive areas when using any type of shampoo.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should a Goldendoodle Be Bathed?
The general rule for dog bathing is once a month, unless they really need an emergency clean.
This is to keep their hair and skin clean and healthy without interrupting their skin’s natural production of essential oils and moisture.
Whilst they are house pets, dogs are natural wild animals that have an evolutionary history of self-cleaning, so a human’s help is only needed once a month.
Of course, if they have been jumping in and out of water and mud, don’t wait around for the next monthly wash.
Can You Use Human Shampoo on a Goldendoodle?
This is not generally recommended. Human hair and skin is entirely different from a dog’s hair and skin.
However, if you find yourself with a smelly dog and no dog shampoo, desperate times call for desperate measures.
You can use your least fragrant shampoo and water it down by at least 50%. Baby shampoo is ideal for this.
Make sure to do a test patch on your dog’s belly or underarm and wait to see if any redness or signs of an allergic reaction occurs.
Be sure to avoid their eyes and rinse their coat properly.
How Do You Wash a Goldendoodle?
Where you choose to wash your dog is entirely up to you, whether it is in a bathtub, outside with a hose, or at a professional groomer.
Our top tip is to get into clothes you are willing to wash immediately, as you will get very wet.
It might be worth jumping in the bathtub with your pup to keep them calm, though fortunately Goldendoodles love water and playtime.
Make sure to avoid eyes, nose, and sensitive areas and rinse all products from their coats.
Whether you choose to let their hair air dry is up to preference, but different coat types may require different drying techniques.
You can use a blow dryer on a low heat setting to dry the hair but not dry out the skin.
Towel drying is the most common technique but may mat the fur.
How Do I Keep My Goldendoodle From Matting?
Matting is incredibly uncomfortable and painful for dogs, but it is easily avoidable if you take action by preventing it.
Purchasing shampoos with multiple uses, such as 2-in-1 shampoos, is a cost-effective way of keeping your dog’s coat sleek and mat free.
This is because the conditioning formula will work to untangle their fur.
Towel drying can often create matted fur, so purchasing a comb or brush is useful for untangling their luscious curls.
Poodle combs (like this stainless steel comb) or brushes are great for Goldendoodles with tighter curls, as they are designed to not irritate your dog or its skin.
Their hair should ideally be brushed daily. Regular grooming and cuts, whether professional or at home, is good for keeping track of their growing hair.
How Do I Keep My Goldendoodle’s Hair Soft?
This comes down to regular grooming and bathing once a month with the appropriate products.
Make sure to buy certified organic shampoos for your dog, as artificial shampoos that are advertised for softening hair is not worth potentially affecting your dog’s skin and health.
Fortunately, Goldendoodle hair is naturally soft anyway, so it does not need extra softening.
Last update on 2021-01-24 at 22:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API