Cavapoos have become an incredibly popular breed of dog.
Sometimes referred to as Cavapoodles or Cavoodles, this adorable breed mixes both Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Poodles to make these tiny balls of fluff.
Dogs that have been bred with Poodles have become increasingly popular as they are hypoallergenic and a great option for households where one or more members are allergic to dogs.
But knowing what to feed your Cavapoo can be difficult.
That’s why we’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide which is full of all the information you need to know about dog food with recommendations of some of the best options available for your Cavapoo.
These are some of our favorites!
|CESAR Soft Wet Dog Food Loaf in Sauce Beef and...||Check Price on Amazon|
|Purina Pro Plan High Protein Small Breed Dog Food,...||Check Price on Amazon|
In a hurry?
If you need dog food for your Cavapoo in a hurry, we’d recommend buying the Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-Free dog food.
This dog food is full of great nutrients and features to give your dog a balanced diet, including:
- A variety of flavor options including beef, chicken, and lamb, allowing you to choose the flavor that your dog enjoys the most.
- Contains only high-quality ingredients, avoiding grains and gluten to ensure your dog only gets natural sources of protein, carbohydrates, etc.
- The recipe contains the Blue Buffalo LifeSource Bits, which is a mix of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that can enhance your dog’s health.
- Additionally includes omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to improve and maintain your dog’s coat as well as their skin.
Review of The Best Best Food for Cavapoo
#1 Food for Cavapoo: Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-free
Our favorite option on the market is the Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain-Free dog food.
Blue Buffalo is a brand that has grown incredibly popular with dog owners, so there’s no question why it has made it to the top of this list.
This yummy formula by Blue Buffalo comes available in three different flavor options, allowing your dog to choose between beef, chicken, or lamb flavor depending on their taste preferences.
This food is also available in various size options allowing you to trial the food before buying a larger bag when you know that they like it.
The formula consists of only high-quality ingredients with real meat at the center and no grains or filler to damage its healthiness.
It also contains omega 3 and 6 for your dog’s skin and coat, and Blue Buffalo’s patented LifeSource Bits to ensure that your dog gets all the nutrients that they need every time that they eat.
- Choose between beef, chicken, or lamb flavor.
- Available in 4, 11, or 24 pound bags.
- High-quality ingredients, including real meat for high-quality protein.
- Contains no grains and no gluten to avoid common allergens for dogs.
- LifeSource Bits including a blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for optimal health.
- Contains omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids for fur and skin.
- No notable drawbacks.
Other Great Food for Cavapoo
Runner-Up: Diamond Naturals Kibble
- Small kibble is easy for small mouths to chew, and also helps clean teeth and reduce plaque
- 27% protein, 16% fat and added superfoods provide your small breed dog with the nutrients necessary...
We also love the Diamond Naturals Kibble. This dog food is only available in one flavor, but it is one that is very popular among the majority of dogs: chicken.
This food is available in a lot of different sizes, allowing you to trial a smaller bag with your dog before buying in bulk when you know that they like it.
The chicken flavor of this food comes from cage-free chickens, which can provide your dog with high-quality protein ensuring that they remain healthy.
It is specifically designed for smaller dogs and comes with a fatty acid blend for skin and coat health.
With premium ingredients including fruit and vegetables and nutrients for healthy digestion, this food contains everything that your dog needs to be healthy.
- Available in 6, 18, or 40 pound bags.
- Uses cage-free chicken for high-quality protein.
- Specifically designed for smaller breeds of dog.
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins, minerals, fruit, and vegetables for health.
- Fatty acid blend included for skin and coat.
- Rich in nutrients for healthy digestion and probiotics for GI tract health.
- No notable drawbacks.
Cesar Wet Dog Food
- Contains two (2) 12 count cases of 3.5 oz. trays of CESAR Wet Dog Food Classic Loaf in Sauce Beef...
- Crafted without grains and with Beef or US Chicken as the #1 ingredient
If your dog isn’t a fan of dry food, we’d recommend Cesar Wet Dog Food.
This formula has the widest range of flavors out of the foods that we have looked at guaranteeing that there is one that your dog will like.
It comes in a 12 pack of tins, each of which weighs 3.5 ounces, providing your dog with an ample meal.
It is crafted without any grains and designed using only US-bred meat so that your dog gets high-quality protein from the food.
It also contains a variety of vitamins and minerals and can be used as a meal by itself or a topper for dry food.
It is also conveniently packaged, making it easy to open and a great option for both you and your dog.
- Available in lots of different flavors including beef, chicken, liver, and many more.
- Comes in a 12 pack of 3.5 ounce tins.
- Crafted without grains and uses only US-bred meat.
- Balanced recipe with vitamins and minerals to aid your dog’s health.
- Suitable to be used as a meal or as a topper for dry food.
- Conveniently packaged to aid the process of feeding your dog.
- The wet formula makes it messy to portion.
Purina Pro Plan
- One (1) 18 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan High Protein Small Breed Dog Food, Chicken & Rice Formula
- Formulated high in protein to meet the needs of highly active small dogs
Another brilliant option is the Purina Pro Plan dog food for small dogs.
This formula is available in chicken or lamb flavor and comes available in bags from 6 pounds up to 34 pounds giving you lots of options.
It is designed specifically for small breeds of dogs and as such is high in calories and protein to give their muscles strength and them lots of energy.
The only meat included in this recipe is real, and you will find nothing artificial in the formula.
It also contains calcium and other minerals that are guaranteed to maintain healthy teeth and bones for your dog.
With bite-sized kibble that is easy to chew and a high amount of fiber for digestive health, there’s no doubt that this is one of the best options available.
- Available in chicken or lamb flavor.
- Available in 6, 8, or 34 pound bags.
- Designed for small breeds, high in calories and protein.
- The first ingredient is real meat for natural protein.
- Contains calcium, phosphorus, and more for healthy teeth and bones.
- Bite-sized kibble can be easily chewed and is high in fiber for digestive health.
- The lamb flavor seems to be unpopular among many dogs.
Purina One Smart Blend
- Four (4) 8 lb. Bags - Purina ONE Natural Dry Dog Food, SmartBlend Small Bites Beef & Rice Formula
- Real beef is the first ingredient in this yummy combo of tender morsels and small kibble bites,...
Finally, you should consider the Purina One Smart Blend dog food.
It comes available in both beef and chicken flavor, both of which are blended with rice to supply your dog with plenty of energy.
It is available in lots of different sizes from 6 pounds through to 31.1 pound bags.
The main ingredient is real meat which is enhanced with a blend of antioxidants to supply your dog with a balanced diet and improve the health of their immune system.
It also comes with omega 6 fatty acids for skin and coat and glucosamine for your dog’s joints, ensuring they can lead a happy and healthy life.
- Choose between beef and rice or chicken and rice flavor.
- Available in 6, 16.4, and 31.1 pound bags.
- Real meat is the first ingredient for high-quality protein.
- Contains a blend of antioxidants for a strong immune system.
- The recipe has a natural source of glucosamine for healthy joints.
- Includes omega 6 fatty acids for skin and coat health.
- Poor quality control means there are differences between the batches.
Knowing what to feed your Cavapoo can be a difficult task. These little bundles of fluff are our babies, and any good dog owner only wants the best for their pup.
In order for your dog to live a happy and healthy life, the key lies in a balanced and healthy diet paired with the correct amount of daily exercise.
(How much exercise does a Cavapoo need on a daily basis? Head over to this article to find the answer.)
There are some key features that you can watch out for in dog food to ensure this, which is why we’ve put together this quick buyer’s guide full of everything you need to know about dog food and its ingredients.
Be sure to read our Ultimate Guide to Dog Food to learn how to correctly interpret confusing dog food labels.
Wet Vs. Dry Food
The biggest argument that exists in the world of animal food is whether you should feed your pet dry or wet food.
Both types have their benefits and their hindrances, but it mainly comes down to your animal’s personal preference.
Dry food has the benefit of maintaining your dog’s teeth while they chew because of the kibble shape of the food.
Whereas wet food has the benefit of being easier to chew if your dog struggles with their teeth.
For younger dogs who have not had their adult teeth yet, some dried food can be too hard for them to chew so they will prefer wet food.
As your dog grows their tastes and preferences will change, so you should monitor what they eat to determine which type of food your pup prefers.
Vitamins and Minerals
In order for your dog to live their happiest and healthiest life, you should feed them dog food that contains certain vitamins and minerals.
These ingredients will enhance the nutrients in the dog food formula and ensure your dog gets a healthy, balanced diet.
The most popular vitamins which you will find in dog food are omega 3 and 6 fatty acids as these are incredibly common in dog food.
Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are often included because they are a great way to ensure the health of your dog’s skin and fur.
However, these vitamins have also been proven to aid your dog’s muscles and eyes among other health benefits.
A dog should eat a balanced diet just as human beings should. To form a balanced diet, two key ingredients should be included; these are protein and carbohydrates.
Both of these food types provide your dog with certain things and together ensure that your dog can live an active lifestyle.
Protein is essential to ensure that your dog has strong and healthy muscles and bones.
Whereas carbohydrates are essential to provide your dog with the energy that they need for their fast-paced lifestyle.
Portioning Your Dog’s Food
It can be very difficult to know how much to feed your Cavapoo.
Most sites will recommend that you feed your dog a certain amount of times a day rather than giving a weight for the amount of food you should give your dog.
This is because the amount of food that you should give will depend on the calorific amount of the specific brand of food.
Luckily, the majority of dog food manufacturers will include a feeding guide that is specific to the formula of their food.
To ensure that you are feeding your dog the right amount, you should follow this feeding guide rather than the feeding guides that you find online.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Breed Is a Cavapoo?
A Cavapoo is often referred to as a breed but it is one of many ‘breeds’ that would have once been referred to as crossbreeds.
Instead, these crossbreeds are now considered luxury breeds of very popular dogs.
Just like many of these luxury breeds, a Cavapoo is a mixture of a Poodle and a Spaniel.
But this breed consists of a mixture of a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Poodle to make this hypoallergenic dog breed.
Visit our complete lineup of Cavapoo articles here to learn more about these adorable, friendly, affectionate dogs.
How Much Should I Feed My Cavapoo a Day?
Portioning food is an incredibly difficult task because the perfect portion is influenced by lots of different factors.
Most people tend to feed their Cavapoo puppies between four and six smaller meals a day to ensure that their puppy gets a balanced diet.
However, you should start to reduce the number of meals as your dog ages to ensure that they do not end up becoming overweight.
If you are still uncertain about how much to feed your dog, most dog foods will come with feeding recommendations included on the packaging.
Investing in a highly recommended book focused solely on Cavapoos, like this #1 bestseller on Amazon, will provide you with answers to questions such as Cavapoo feeding amounts and other common concerns.
Do Cavapoos Have Any Common Health Conditions?
While crossbreeds tend to have fewer health conditions than pedigree dogs, ‘luxury’ crossbreeds are likely to inherit some health conditions from their pedigree parents.
Cavalier King Charles in particular are prone to some very unpleasant conditions which could potentially be passed down to your Cavapoo.
These conditions include issues with their heart, hip dysplasia, and skin conditions.
However just because these are common for the dog breed doesn’t mean that your dog will experience these conditions.
You can learn more about possible Cavapoo health concerns in our Complete Cavapoo Overview here.
Last update on 2023-03-22 at 06:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API