Most dog owners have experienced it at one time or another – stomach-turning dog breath right in your face. A breath spray for dogs easily remedies the problem. Let’s explore some common causes of bad breath and discover what to look for in breath sprays such as Pro Pet Works, our favorite.
Common Causes of Your Dog’s Bad Breath
Of course, if your dog is often found nosing through the trash, eating questionable finds from the yard, or even worse, cleaning out the cat’s litter box, you shouldn’t be too surprised by the foul smell emanating from his mouth. Snacking on “treats” like this is a common cause of nasty breath.
Many other causes of bad breath in dogs are common to humans as well.
Bacteria in the Mouth
This is a major cause of stinky breath in dogs. Just like with people, dogs deal with food particles lodged between teeth and the formation of plaque on the surface of their teeth.
If not frequently removed, this plaque hardens to form tartar. Both plaque and tartar harbor oodles of bacteria which cause toxins to form, which in turn can lead to gum disease and, you guessed it, bad breath.
Dental decay can also be the root of vile odors as the infected teeth rot away inside the mouth.
Dogs suffering from liver failure will often have a musty scent to their breath and those with kidney failure may produce a fishy or ammonia-like odor. If you suspect either one of these conditions, please follow up with your veterinarian as soon as possible.
Many people are not aware that a dry mouth is a leading cause of putrid breath. You see, saliva naturally washes away dead cells and neutralizes many acids caused by bacteria. When there is a lack of sufficient saliva, bacteria multiply and dead cells are left to decay.
Other triggers of bad breath include sinus or respiratory infections and digestive issues.
How Do Breath Sprays Work Exactly?
The American Kennel Club (AKC) states that a dog’s mouth contains more than 600 different types of bacteria, close to the number found in human mouths. It’s no wonder that their breath is often on the stinky side.
An interesting note is that (according to the AKC) saliva also contains histatins which aid in fighting infection. This may be one reason that dogs instinctively lick a wound. They’re not only removing debris from the injury, but are preventing infection as well. Neat, right?
Breath sprays made for dogs work to kill or neutralize odor-causing bacteria found along the gum line and on the surface of the tongue and teeth, stopping the foul odor at the source.
Things to Consider When Looking For Breath Sprays
Perhaps the most important thing to consider is the list of ingredients. Some breath sprays for dogs are full of questionable additives. Read ingredient lists carefully. If you wouldn’t feel comfortable feeding any of the components to your dog, look for another product.
We only chose breath sprays made from all-natural ingredients to include in our list.
Convenience and Taste
Quality breath sprays should have directions clearly printed on the bottle. Some sprays recommend frequent usage throughout the day while others are more potent and require fewer applications. Still, others recommend spraying the dog’s mouth and adding the product to the water bowl. Ultimately, the choice is up to you.
No one knows your dog better than you do. Many sprays are flavored with mint or other fresh-smelling extracts (more for people’s benefit than the dogs) while others are said to be tasteless. Again, the choice is yours.
Are you looking for a product to simply mask the horrible smell or are you more interested in attacking the problem at the source for a more permanent fix? Either way, you’ll find no shortage of breath sprays available that are designed to tackle the problem.
What to Avoid
Many dog breath sprays contain alcohol to kill germs and bacteria. While alcohol is indeed effective, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) reminds us that alcohol is toxic to dogs. Dogs are unable to metabolize alcohol, even in small amounts.
When a spray containing alcohol enters a dog’s mouth, some will be swallowed, and some will be absorbed through the lining of the mouth and enter the bloodstream. It does not harmlessly remain in only the mouth.
We recommend avoiding any products containing alcohol, even if they are made specifically for dogs.
Also, steer clear of breath sprays made for human use as these often contain ingredients that could harm your dog.
Do not use any product containing xylitol. It is highly toxic to dogs and can lead to hypoglycemia, seizures, collapse, vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, and even death.
Now, let’s get shopping.
Our Favorite Breath Sprays For Dogs
We know that dogs often engage in disgusting behaviors, such as licking their nether-region, sneaking a quick drink from the toilet, and nosing through the trash for last week’s tuna. The result is breath that might make you want to run for the hills. The solution? Give one of these breath sprays a try.
- 1 BOTTLE 17 OZ FORMULA FOR DOGS, CATS AND SMALL ANIMALS: Instantly turns bad breath into sweet,...
- INGREDIENTS WORK TO FIGHT GUM DISEASE, PLAQUE AND TARTAR: By age 3, 80% of dogs and cats develop...
With ingredients like Aloe vera, spearmint, and honey, this dental spray by Pro Pet Works not only eliminates odor-causing bacteria that causes foul breath, but aids in soothing digestive issues as well. This veterinarian recommended all-natural product that supports healthy teeth and gums by reducing the build-up of plaque and tartar.
- Works at the enzymatic level to eliminate the root cause of bad breath.
- Safe to use on dogs, cats, and other small pets.
- Helps to fight periodontal disease and the build up of plaque and tartar when used regularly.
- Supports healthy teeth and gums.
- Only contains Aloe vera, spearmint, natural honey, cinnamon, cloves, distilled water, and naturally occurring minerals.
- This all-natural spray comes in an 8 ounce bottle.
- Manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee if you aren’t 100% satisfied.
- Recommended by veterinarians as part of your dog’s daily hygiene routine.
- Ingredients work as a digestive aid as well as a breath freshener.
- May also be added to your pet’s water bowl for additional benefits.
- Product has a shelf life of 2 years.
- Helps to slow the progression of gum disease.
- A few users found that the bottle had leaked during shipping.
- Bottle may not provide clear directions for use.
- Scientifically Shown to Stop Plaque and Tartar Build Up in your Pet’s Mouth. Thus, Promotes...
We love that this spray effectively freshens your dog’s breath and gives the immune system a healthy boost. Unique in that it utilizes nano silver instead of harsh products like alcohol or chlorine, this breath freshener and immune support spray contains only four, all-natural ingredients, and may be used on cats too.
- Only four ingredients: SilverSol Technology® 15 ppm Nano Silver, deionized water, peppermint essential oil, and stevia.
- Product is 100% all natural.
- Produced in a facility monitored by the FDA.
- Contains no artificial ingredients, preservatives, alcohol, or additives.
- One bottle will last approximately 90 days.
- Works to eliminate bacteria that cause plaque and tartar to accumulate.
- Tested by a certified analytics company.
- Fosters a healthier environment within the mouth to promote a stronger, more robust immune system.
- Claims to be the only dental spray to utilize a patented, scientifically proven SilverSol Technology® Nano Silver to destroy harmful bacteria and support a healthy immune response.
- Comes in an 8 ounce bottle.
- Safe for use on cats as well.
- Nano silver is believed to have antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial qualities.
- Recommended application is one to two times per day.
- Effectively freshens your dog’s breath.
- Manufacturer does not offer a satisfaction guarantee.
- 🐕 NO MORE DOG AND CAT BAD BREATH – A few simple sprays deliver extra fresh breath on contact...
- 🐈 STOP ORAL DISEASE - Keeping your pet’s teeth clean will prevent build-up of tartar and plaque...
This all-natural, veterinarian-recommended breath spray may be sprayed directly onto your dog’s teeth and gums, added to his water bowl, or both. Safe and easy to use, this spray helps to create a cleaner, healthier environment within your pet’s mouth for long-term oral benefits and can be used on dogs and cats.
- Contains distilled water, peppermint extract, cinnamon, natural honey, cloves, Aloe vera, and naturally occurring minerals.
- Recommended by veterinarians for periodontal care.
- Safe to use on cats too.
- May be used as a water additive.
- No artificial ingredients, flavors, colors, or alcohol.
- Wheat and soy free.
- May be safely used with most prescription medications.
- Fights oral diseases including gingivitis.
- Will not harm tooth enamel.
- Cloves may help to remineralize teeth, stimulate circulation, and reduce swelling and irritation.
- Many believe that honey possesses antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties.
- Peppermint is thought to be very effective at killing anaerobic bacteria which can cause gum disease and bad breath.
- Aloe vera is believed by many to contain antibacterial and antioxidant properties and may reduce dental plaque and soothe minor irritations.
- Only available in 4-ounce bottle.
- Some users claim that the taste from the cloves is too strong for their dog.
- Natural Pet Oral Spray: Phosphate-&-Paraben-free ingredients fight bad breath & promote oral health
- Minty Fresh Breath for Dogs & Cats: Alcohol-free mouthwash kills bacteria to stop decay & bad breath
Armed with the deodorizing power of baking soda and a fresh, minty scent, this natural breath spray is sure to eliminate the odor-causing bacteria in your pet’s mouth and leave the teeth and gums cleaner and healthier. This product contains no alcohol or synthetic preservatives.
- Gentle ingredients fight bacteria, plaque, and tartar for fresher breath and better oral health.
- Recommended dose is only four sprays around teeth and gums once daily.
- Made with natural Aloe vera, mint, and baking soda to kill bacteria and prevent tooth decay.
- Aloe vera may help to soothe irritated tissue and prevent infections from developing.
- Mint leaves your pet’s breath fresh and clean smelling.
- Baking soda’s mild, abrasive nature help to remove plaque while deodorizing, cleaning, and polishing teeth.
- Baking soda is well known for its ability to absorb bad odors to leave behind a fresh-smelling environment.
- Product is safe to use on cats if desired.
- Alcohol, paraben, and phosphate-free.
- Most dogs enjoy the taste.
- The sprayer nozzle produces a wide mist which may make the application a little difficult, especially with small dogs or cats.
- Some users report that the minty smell fades away rather quickly.
- Puppy breath in a bottle - Instantly eliminate bad dog and cat breath: Cure your pets’ breath on...
- Pet dentist in a bottle - Tooth spray eliminates tartar, plaque and gum disease. Life threatening...
We like the fact that this dental spray is 100% hypoallergenic, utilizes baking soda’s odor-neutralizing properties, and is backed by a lifetime warranty. Other beneficial ingredients include Aloe vera extract, peppermint, spearmint, and stevia to eliminate the root cause of bad breath by killing bacteria and controlling plaque and tartar accumulation.
- Reduces the risk of oral disease when used daily by naturally controlling plaque and tartar.
- Product is non-toxic, alcohol-free, and 100% hypoallergenic.
- Contains baking soda to absorb offensive odors.
- Developer worked with veterinarians when creating this product to ensure that all of the ingredients were safe and effective.
- Works more effectively than bones, freshening treats, mints, and dental chews to sanitize your pet’s mouth because it is designed to work at an enzymatic level.
- Manufacturer offers a lifetime money-back warranty.
- The company’s customer service is highly praised by many users.
- A portion of the sale profits is donated to a pet with cancer if, after receiving the product, you send in a picture of your dog.
- Contains sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, preservatives commonly found in dog products.
- It is recommended that this product be sprayed both in your pet’s mouth and added to their drinking water.
A Brief Summary
Beware of breath sprays with potentially harmful ingredients. After all, you’ll be spraying the product directly into your dog’s mouth. High quality, all-natural ingredients are usually your safest bet.
That’s why we chose Pro Pet Works Premium Pet Dental Spray as our top choice of dog breath fresheners. This product is not only veterinarian recommended but is also backed by a money-back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied.
The all-natural ingredients work to freshen breath, support healthy teeth and gums, fight bacteria, and aid in digestion – all in one convenient to use 8-ounce bottle.
Last update on 2022-05-19 at 00:10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API