The right dog detangler spray can make a huge difference in your life.
Stop struggling with snarls and mats and choose a product that can make grooming a breeze for you and your dog.
What are the best dog detangler sprays? The best detangling sprays will be made from natural ingredients, will eliminate knots and tangles to make brushing easier, will nourish the skin and coat, will leave the coat shiny and smooth, and will help prevent future tangles and mats from forming.
Brushing your dog should be a pleasant chore that provides an opportunity for bonding and enjoying a few quiet moments with your pet.
However, when you’re constantly fighting knots and pulling out tangles, brushing time can become an activity both you and your dog dread.
Detangling sprays can put an end to the battle and make brushing your dog a breeze.
Ready for a quick sneak peak at our favorite detangling spray? Here’s the top pick from our list of the 7 best.
|Burt's Bees for Dogs Natural Detangling Spray With...||Check Price on Amazon|
What Are Dog Detangling Sprays?
If you have ever struggled to brush a tangle or mat out of your dog’s coat, you may both benefit from a dog detangling spray.
These sprays are designed to help mats and tangles work out easily when you are brushing your dog. Sometimes they also coat the hair to prevent tangles from forming.
What Dogs Need Detangling Sprays?
Any dog with long hair could benefit from a detangling spray.
Mixed-breed dogs that come from dogs with hair and fur, such as a mix between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle (a Goldendoodle), are especially prone to matting and may benefit more from detangling sprays than other breeds.
What to Look for in a Detangling Spray?
Here are a few key features to look for when you are choosing the right detangling spray for your dog:
Will It Irritate Your Dog’s Skin?
Some products are hypoallergenic and allergy tested, while others may not disclose all of their ingredients.
If your dog isn’t prone to allergies, this may not be a concern, but for dogs with sensitive skin, an all-natural or dermatologist-tested formula is probably your best choice.
How Will You Use It?
If you are looking for a product to use only after baths while brushing, you’ll have different needs than if you want something to touch up your dog’s coat between brushings.
Think about how wet it’ll make your dog’s coat and whether you’ll need to blow-dry your pup afterward.
Do You Want Scented or Unscented?
Some people hate that wet dog smell and want a detangling spray to make their dog smell fresh after a bath, while other people find that scented products irritate them or their dogs.
Consider whether you want a scented or unscented variety as you choose your dog detangler spray.
The 7 Best Detangling Spray for Dogs
If you are looking for an all-natural product that can help you get out tangles and prevent tangles from forming, this may be the one for you.
It is made with only natural and high-quality ingredients that are specifically formulated to be effective after baths and for brushing between baths.
Burt’s Bees contains both lemon oil and linseed oil.
The lemon oils reduces the buildup of debris and add a pleasant scent, and the linseed oil gently coats the fur to prevent hair from tangling and matting.
- Made with all-natural, high-quality ingredients.
- Contains lemon and linseed oil.
- Gentle formula to use after baths and between baths.
- Carefully pH balanced to be appropriate for all dogs and puppies.
- Cruelty-free formula is free of colorants, sulfates, and fragrances.
- Makes hair wet, so not great to use between baths for dogs who need blow-drying.
- Not ideal for use as a deodorizer.
This detangling mist has the same ingredients as those used in the human version, including a silk protein that protects against heat.
It can be a great formula for using before blow-drying. BioSilk is designed to remove tangles in fur, loosen knots, and leave behind a shine.
Natural ingredients, including oat extract, aloe vera, and jojoba oil, nourish the skin and condition the coat.
Real silk protein and no parabens or sulfates mean that you can use this product with confidence and your dog will enjoy a healthier, shiny, tangle-free coat.
- Formula is pH balanced and safe to use with topical flea and tick treatments.
- Detangles fur, loosen knots, and offers a natural shine.
- Contains oat extract, jojoba oil, and aloe vera.
- Free of sulfates and parabens.
- Silk proteins to protect against heat, making it ideal for blow-drying.
- Some dogs have experienced allergic reactions.
- Not designed to protect from future matting.
TropiClean is designed to eliminate static and frizz and retain moisture to naturally leave the coat shiny and smooth.
It is an effective detangler and has the added bonus of a fresh floral scent to help fight doggy odors.
Ingredients like chamomile and kiwi extract are naturally beneficial to your dog’s skin and coat.
All ingredients are naturally derived, and it contains no parabens, alcohol, or dyes.
- Pleasant floral scent.
- Made with ingredients derived from nature.
- Chamomile, kiwi extract, and more to replenish hair and skin.
- Requires a lot to be effective.
- Some may find the smell to be overwhelming or too sweet.
This natural formula is derived from botanical ingredients to detangle your dog’s coat and help keep it from tangling again.
Thirteen conditioning agents, like chamomile, sweet almond oil, and oatmeal, create a naturally sweet fragrance and condition your dog’s skin.
This formula is made of the same botanical extracts as the human formula, but it is pH balanced for pets.
This formula has tea tree oil, which should only be used in very small amounts with pets, so be careful not to use too much if you choose this product.
- Botanical formula to naturally detangle your dog’s coat.
- Coats each individual strand of your dog’s coat to prevent tangles.
- Sweet fragrance from natural components.
- Affordably priced.
- Made from the same botanical extracts as the human version.
- Contains tea tree oil – use sparingly.
- Wide range of ingredients may make it difficult to know what is affecting your dog if an allergic reaction occurs.
Although this product isn’t a spray, it’s a terrific detangler option for dogs who dislike or shy away from spray products.
Cowboy Magic contains some of the same quality ingredients as the competition, such as hydrolyzed silk, and won’t dry out the hair or leave it feeling greasy.
This is a concentrated formula that goes a long way, and it’s free of alcohol and water.
You can feel good about using something that has been reviewed by dermatologists and tested for allergens.
- Deep conditioner is a good choice for dogs that don’t like being sprayed.
- A nickel-sized amount goes a very long way.
- Tested for allergies and reviewed by a dermatologist.
- No water or alcohol.
- Leaves a silky shine without buildup.
- Effective ingredients.
- Can be difficult to apply without applying too much, especially when applying to dry hair.
- Watery formula can be difficult to apply.
This detangling spray comes in a playful bottle with a fun scent to make grooming after baths and between baths fun as well as easy.
It is made with a pH-balanced, eco-friendly formula that contains ingredients to nourish your dog’s skin, like essential fatty acids, sunflower seed oil, vitamin E, and wheat protein.
The smell is fruity but mild, and it will leave hair shiny and smelling great.
- Fun bottle and playful but gentle scent.
- Eco-friendly formula is pH balanced for dogs.
- Essential fatty acids, wheat protein, sunflower seed oil, and vitamin E.
- Gentle formula is safe to use after baths and in between baths.
- Not every person or dog likes the smell, even though it is quite mild.
- Doesn’t help to prevent tangles from forming.
If your dog is a bit stressed out by grooming, this lavender detangling spray may help him relax and enjoy the routine.
Natural plant-based ingredients like chamomile and aloe are cruelty free, vegan, hypoallergenic and safe for adult dogs and puppies to use between and after baths.
- Calming lavender essential oil.
- Natural plant-based ingredients.
- No harsh chemicals, sulfates, phthalates, or artificial fragrances.
- Safe for adult dogs and puppies for use after baths and between baths.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Some may find the lavender smell to be overpowering.
- Does not leave hair particularly soft and shiny compared to some other options.
Last update on 2022-10-05 at 15:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API