Are you tired of having your German Shepherd hog the bed every night? Are you tired of having to vacuum dog hair off your bed every day? Does your German Shepherd seem to pace the floor at night like he’s looking for the perfect spot to lay his tired body down? If you’ve answered yes to even one of these questions, you may want to consider getting your German Shepherd his own dog bed.
Why Use a Dog Bed
You may be wondering if your German Shepherd really needs a dog bed. The answer is yes. Large breed dogs have a tendency to suffer from joint pain, especially as they get older. This is especially true with the German Shepherd dog. Many German Shepherds suffer from osteoarthritis, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and hip and joint problems in general.
Additional stress is put on the joints and spinal cord from old age or excess weight gain that often came from age. This additional stress increases the chance of these problems. Sleeping on a high-quality dog bed can be very beneficial to your German Shepherd.
There are several benefits to having your German Shepherd sleeping on a good dog bed.
- Dog beds provide insulation against a cold floor
- Dog beds provide bones and joints with protection against hard floors.
- Softness of the bed provides a dog with a sense of comfort and security.
- Dog hair is on the dog’s bed and not your bed.
- More comfort for you in your bed when the dog is in his own bed.
Finding the Right Dog Bed for Your German Shepherd
Getting a dog bed can be a big step and one that should involve some research. If you were buying yourself a new bed, you probably wouldn’t buy the first bed you saw. Doesn’t your faithful, four-legged friend deserve the same consideration?
If you’ve ever watched your German Shepherd sleep, you may have noticed that he moves around a lot and seldom wakes up in the same position, or even the same spot, that he fell asleep. They stretch out, curl up or sleep in a relaxed position, so the dog will need a bed large enough to accommodate these different positions.
Here is an overview of dog beds and on how to find the best dog bed for your German Shepherd. Here are several things to look for in a bed.
What to Look For in a Dog Bed
- Bed should have sufficient padding for the dog’s comfort.
- Should be large enough to accommodate the dog when stretched out.
- Fabric should be comfortable.
- Fabric should be washable.
- Bed should be water-resistant or waterproof.
- Bed should have side bolsters for extra support and to rest his head.
What If My German Shepherd Has Special Needs?
Not all German Shepherds are created equal. Some might be young puppies while others might be senior dogs. Is the dog full of energy or somewhat shy and withdrawn? Will your dog spend a lot of time sleeping outdoors camping with the family?
Do you have more than one Shepherd, and do they enjoy sleeping together? Buying a dog bed that meets the needs of the dog is the best way to ensure your dog is happy and comfortable according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA).
Considerations when choosing a dog bed for your German Shepherd
- If your dog enjoys cuddling with another dog, buy an extra-large bed or two beds and put them side-by-side.
- If your dog has joint or bone problems, consider getting an orthopedic or memory foam bed.
- If the dog will be sleeping outdoors at times, the bed should be of sturdy, durable and water-resistant fabric.
- A dog that is shy and reserved might be more comfortable in an igloo-type bed will allow him to hide in comfort in his own space.
How do I Get My German Shepherd Used to His New Dog Bed?
When you first bring your German Shepherd’s new bed home, the dog may instantly plop down and fall asleep in it. This may not mean that it’s suddenly become his best friend or that he even wants it for a bed. It only means that he’s trying it out because it’s something new and probably comfortable.
While some dogs take to a new dog bed right away, others may not want to give up their current sleeping spot. If your German Shepherd is a puppy, the transition will be much easier than if your dog is older. It is still possible to get an adult German Shepherd used to a new dog bed. This video may provide a little insight into getting your dog to give the dog bed a chance.
You may also want to try these tips:
- Put him in your room – Leaving your bed is a big enough adjustment without having to also leave your room.
- Put toys and treats in his bed – The dog will consider the bed a happy place.
- Toss a treat in his bed to encourage him to go to the bed – This lets him know good things happen in his bed.
- Praise him when he lays on his bed – Let him know you’re happy he’s on this bed.
- Be consistent – It’s important that you be consistent and continue to take him to his bed and not your bed. If you give in once, it’s like starting all over again.
5 Best Dog Beds for German Shepherds
The thought of getting your Shepherd a dog bed may sound easy, but you’ll want one that’s comfortable, durable and a good fit for your dog. It may seem like a daunting task with so many on the market today. Finding the right dog bed requires some research, which we’ve done for you! Here is a list of what I believe are the 5 best dog beds for German Shepherds.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort,...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear...
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, & ozone...
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM / LARGE OR MULTIPLE SMALLER DOGS: (i) 36 x 28 x 9 inches. Can easily hold 100+...
The PetFusion Ultimate is so comfortable; your German Shepherd will have little trouble transitioning from your bed to his own bed. A waterproof white liner surrounds the 6” solid memory foam base, which improves energy, mobility, and overall health and also reduces joint pain. The 65/35 polyester cotton twill bolsters are made with recycled polyfill for ultimate comfort.
- 2-year warranty
- Certified Skin Contact Safe
- Easy to clean
- Passes strict European REACH safety standards
- Low-quality zipper
- Poor customer service
- Retains a lot of dog hair
- Cover doesn’t appear to be waterproof despite being advertised as waterproof
- SPECIAL LOVING: Great For Pets With Arthritis or Joint and Muscle Issues
- DIMENSIONS: 35”L x 42”W x 7” Thick 100% Memory Foam | SLEEPING SURFACE – 28”L x 30”W x...
- DOUBLE LAYER PROTECTION!!! SLEEPING SURFACE: 5” Thick Orthopedic Memory Foam with a Waterproof...
- EXTERIOR COVER: Soft, Plush Suede with an Anti-Slip Bottom Zippered Cover - PREMIUM MEMORY FOAM:...
The KOPEKS deluxe orthopedic memory foam dog bed will make your dog want to spend even more time sleeping than he probably already does. One thing that makes this dog bed so comfortable is the ultra-soft, micro-suede cover. It’s made of 100% orthopedic-grade, hypoallergenic memory foam with a sleeping surface of 5” memory foam and an edge of 7” memory foam, making it especially therapeutic.
Additionally, it’s water-resistant, zippered cover makes it very easy to maintain and clean. It even has a second liner for extra protection. The thick memory foam mattress is not only comfortable but also good for doges with arthritis, hip dysplasia or similar joint problems. It’s available in three sizes.
- Good buy for the money
- Anti-slip bottom
- Super comfortable
- Good customer service
- Zipper not high quality
- Sides too low
- Memory foam flattened over time
- LIKE A HUG FOR YOUR DOG! Is your dog a cuddler? A burrower? The Cozy Cave dog bed is just what...
- HAPPY DOGS, HAPPY OWNERS! Customer satisfaction is our top priority, and by that we mean both dogs...
- WE DON’T CUT CORNERS. Our dog beds are built to last! When you invest in a Snoozer, you know...
- SIZING: This Cozy Cave has a 45” diameter and a 4” sidewall. This provides space for larger...
The Snoozer cozy cave pet bed is ideal for Shepherds that like that cozy feeling from being covered and secure. Special design features that make the Snoozer such a comfortable dog bed include a machine washable poly/cotton exterior and cover and warm and fuzzy Sherpa interior. For the base, you can choose from an orthopedic foam insert, which provides extra comfort, or a cedar/poly mixture for overstuffed comfort.
- Available in 40 different colors
- Easy to wash
- Strong zipper
- Cover comes off easy
- Plastic rod tends to slip out
- Could keep its shape better
- Top of cave could be bigger
- Sherpa sheds a lot
- Designed with extra care, your pet's comfort is our priority, Your dog will get a solid night's...
- Water-resistant liner and human-grade mattress foam, this orthopedic bed has been put to the test...
- Bed Size: 25in x 20 in x 5 inch, Huge clearance is perfect for a small or medium dog up to 30lbs,...
- Pet-Loving parents will score major points from their dogs with this new, ideal and comfy bed
The Friends Forever Orthopedic dog bed lounge sofa is the ideal bed if you’re looking for superb comfort for your dog. This bed comes in four sizes to accommodate most dogs. The mattress is only 2.5” thick, but it provides good bone, hip and head support, which is so important for German Shepherds. It’s made of the same grade memory foam that’s in baby mattresses.
Another feature of this lounge sofa that’s great for Shepherds is its poly-filled cushioned bolsters surrounding the bed as well as the water-resistant cover. The non-skid, non-slip bottom ensures it will stay in place on hardwood floors regardless of how your dog comes running at it. The company is so sure of the quality of this dog bed that it comes with a 100% satisfaction guaranteed warranty.
- Removable cover is machine washable and durable
- Easy to clean
- Hair and fur resistant cover
- Covered by 1-year warranty
- Problems with the zippers
- Some have bad chemical odors
- Returns not easy to deal with
- Large Orthopedic Sleeper: 40” x 30” x 10" - Ideal for Medium to Large size dogs and also great...
- Inner Dimensions of Sleeping Space: 36" x 24" - Crafted with top-of-the-line workmanship and premium...
- Premium Materials include: (1) Ultra Soft Polyester Cover with a luxurious quilted design, (2) 4" of...
- Sleek and Luxurious quilted design to improve any family's home decor. Comes with a built-in nonslip...
Some dogs like to curl up like a doughnut while other like to stretch out when they rest. If your Shepherd likes to do the doughnut thing, the Barkbar orthopedic dog bed is the perfect choice. This bed is extremely comfortable and will have the dog feeling like he’s wrapped in a pillow-filled nest. The 4-inch orthopedic foam base is covered with an ultra-soft polyester quilting.
The cushions are cotton-padded and contour perfectly to the dog’s neck. This is a great feature if the dog has neck problems. In general, it’s a great dog bed for dogs with joint or arthritis problems. The quilted pattern makes this dog bed just seem to fit into any home décor.
- Removable and machine washable
- The bottom has non-slip rubber backing
- Easy to spot clean or vacuum
- Cover rips easy
- Foam loses shape quickly
- Must be washed on a delicate cycle to avoid it shredding
- Not for dogs that like to dig
And the Winner Is…..
Choosing the right dog bed for your German Shepherd can be tough. For as loyal as your Shepherd is to you, you want to provide him with a bed that’s his home and castle. Even after narrowing down the dozens of dog beds to just five, it was still a tough choice. No dog bed is going to be 100% perfect and have no flaws. You’ll want your dog’s bed to have many good qualities, but you’re not going to get them all.
What you want most is one that’s affordable, comfortable and durable. With that said, our pick for best dog bed for German Shepherds is the PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed. The PetFusion has everything we typically look for in a dog bed. While it may not be the most affordable bed, it’s also not the most expensive. It’s comfortable, skin safe and has plenty of memory foam. What I liked, even more, was the 2-year warranty. In the off chance that the bed is not as it should be, it can be replaced for two years after the purchase date.
Last update on 2021-01-26 at 02:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API