Searching for the best water bowl for your pooch? If you’re like me, you might need a few bowls…one for inside, one for outside, and one for when you’re on the go. We’ll help you pick the best for your need and point out some things to look out for, too. Below you is a summary if you’re in a crunch…
Our Top Picks
- Standard Bowl: Yeti Stainless Steel Water Bowl
- No-Spill Bowl: IMS Non-Spill Mirrored Bowl
- Fountain Bowl: Pioneer Pet Big Max Stainless Steel Fountain
- Self-Replenishing Bowl: Petmate Stainless Steel Replendish Waterer
- Thermal Bowl: K&H Pet Products Thermal-Bowl
- Collapsible Travel Bowl: PetBonus Silicone Collapsible Bowls
The Problem With Plastic Bowls
No doubt you’ve heard about the woes that plastic is having on the environment. It isn’t doing your dog any favors either. In a recent study, harmful bacteria was found in large amounts inside of a dog’s water bowl. In most of the cases, it was the bowls made of plastic and ceramic that held the highest amounts of bacteria.
The bacteria was discovered inside of the water bowls were MRSA, E. coli, and even salmonella. Because these diseases can be transmitted to humans, it’s extremely concerning that such bacteria can be found within the home. Most pet owners typically place their dog’s food and water bowls inside of the kitchen, too. It can be even easier for bacteria to slowly spread and make its way into human food and onto counters where food is prepared.
While regular cleaning may help lower the risk of bacteria levels in a water bowl, it doesn’t get rid of the problem entirely. The simple truth of the matter is that plastic and ceramic bowls provide a better environment for bacterial growth than other materials like stainless steel.
What to Look for in a Water Bowl
While it’s obvious that you should stay away from plastic water bowls, what else should you look for when shopping for the best dog water? Stainless steel remains one of the best materials that you can choose for the bowl. You should begin your search by examining bowls that provide that particular material. It’s easy to clean in the dishwasher, it’s durable, and it doesn’t tend to leak should the dog or dishwasher go to town on it.
The second aspect that you may be met with is whether or not to have raised feeder. These are little racks that basically elevate the food and water bowls a few inches off of the floor. While some pet owners might buy them for aesthetic purposes, many believe they have health benefits (and some believe they could do harm to your dog).
For one, raised bowls are said to help dogs who suffer from orthopedic problems. It makes sense since a dog will have to lower their head and extend their back more with a bowl that rests on the ground. When it’s raised, they only have to lower their heads a little.
When I purchased my dog his water bowl, I also chose to have a raised feeder. Though my intentions were more focused around limiting the chance for bugs to find their way into the feeder. I found that when the feeder was on the ground, ants were more likely to find their way into the house and chip away at my dog’s food. Since using a raised feeder, I haven’t had any problems with bugs. If keeping your home bug-free is important to you, then you might want to consider using raised water bowl.
A final benefit that the raised water bowl provides is in keeping the bowls cleaner just a bit longer. Dogs tend to eat quickly. When they do, they sometimes end up pushing food into their water bowl. No one likes looking down into the water bowl to find soggy pieces of dog food slowly dissolving in it. A raised bowl makes that transfer a little more difficult. That means less cleaning for you and better-tasting water for your dog.
Cautions to Take When Buying Stainless Steel
Although buying stainless steel bowls is your best option for providing a safe environment for your dog to drink from, it does have its share of problems. While you don’t necessarily have to worry about harmful chemicals leaking into the water as you would with plastic dog bowls, stainless steel can sometimes harbor chemicals of their own.
The key is to buy from companies who use the best quality of materials possible in the forging of their stainless steel bowls. Those who use inferior materials can sometimes end up mixing harsh chemicals or other materials within their stainless steel. Those chemicals can eventually seep into the water, especially as the bowl starts to wear down through use.
One incident even saw that a series of stainless steel bowls were exposed to levels of radiation. Although Petco was quick to inform the public, there were likely pet owners who had already bought the bowls and used them for their pets. While the chance of this occurring again is rare, it’s still important that you ensure that you buy the highest grade stainless steel product possible for your dog.
Best Water Bowls for Dogs
Clearly, there are plenty of aspects to watch out for when choosing to buy a water bowl for your dog. To help you out, I’ve looked at some of the water bowls around and compiled a list of the best water bowls for your dog. The best water bowl overall will be listed first while the others shall be listed according to other great features.
- Circulating drinking water is naturally appealing to your pet
- Replaceable charcoal filter for clean and pure, healthy water
Perhaps the best water bowl for your dog is a new innovation of the water bowl. Instead of offering stagnant water to your dog, you might want to offer moving water. That’s what the Stainless Steel Fountain bowl from Pioneer Pet provides. There are many benefits that this model provides over standard water bowls. That’s what makes it a great option for those who want to limit the number of bacteria that exists within their dog’s water bowl while also encouraging their dog to drink.
It’s made of stainless steel, so you don’t run into the easy build-up of bacteria from the get-go. However, because the water is moving, it also keeps the bacteria from growing. The sound of trickling water is also comforting to dogs. Their instincts tell them to drink from moving water more so than water that’s stationary. So, if your dog doesn’t drink enough water, then including this water fountain could encourage them to drink more.
- Dishwasher Safe: Because of the material, this water bowl can be easily placed within the dishwasher to be washed. It’s also relatively quick to dry.
- Charcoal Filter: This bowl also comes with a charcoal filter that’s replaceable. This further keeps the water sanitary as your dog uses it. Charcoal filters are popularly used to keep pool water sanitized as well, so it’s safe to use for your dog, too.
- High-Grade Steel: The company uses high-grade stainless steel in its material. That means it will remain durable for many years. It’s also less prone to leaking harsh chemicals that were used in the production of the bowl.
- Pump Can Break: Because it does involve moving parts, the fountain part of this water bowl can stop functioning. Then you’re simply back to a stationary bowl of water.
- The YETI BOOMER Dog Bowl is designed to be as dependable and adventurous as your best friend
- 18/8 STAINLESS STEEL - Puncture resistant, rust resistant, and tough enough to handle any dents and...
The best non-slip water bowl for your dog comes to you from YETI brand. One of the biggest reasons that this bowl makes the list is due to its non-slip material. Too often dogs can go to town on a bowl and slip it all across the floor. This results in a mess that you have to clean up each time they drink. The YETI stops that mess from happening.
- Non-Slip: A protective layer on the bottom keeps the bowl from sliding all over the place.
- Durable: High-quality stainless steel is used in its production. It’s puncture-proof, rust-proof, and can stand up to most dents and dings.
- Dishwasher-Safe: You can easily slip it into a dishwasher whenever it’s empty for a quick clean to keep it sanitary for your dog.
- Numerous Colors: Unlike most other stainless steel bowls, YETI provides you with a few different colored bowls. This allows you to add some character to your dog bowls.
- Non-Raised: The bowl rests on the floor which can be a problem for dogs with back problems or bugs.
- Expensive: For what it provides, some owners might find the cost a bit too high.
- Heated pet water bowl prevents water from freezing, even at -20°F, keeping your pet hydrated no...
- Energy-efficient bowl heater uses only 25 watts and is thermostatically controlled to turn on and...
For those who have their pets outside, you likely need a bowl of water out there, too. As the temperatures drop, your water needs to stay de-frosted, so your dogs continue to have access to clean water. That’s where the bowl from K&H comes into play. This bowl keeps the water from freezing up, so your dog can continue to drink from it whenever they need it. It’s also made of stainless steel, so it helps keep the water insulated and warm.
- Thermal Control: You can heat the water just enough to keep it from freezing when your dog is outside.
- Dishwasher-Safe: It can be easily placed inside the dishwasher for cleaning.
- Energy Efficient: The bowl hardly uses much power. In fact, it’s less than a 30-watt light bulb.
- Short Cord: The cord is five feet and this might not be long enough for everyone.
For many pet owners, part of the problem comes with spillage. Dogs just tend to be messy when they’re drinking away. To help lessen the mess, you might want to consider this bowl from IMS. It offers a unique design that helps catch some of the water as it runs down the sides of the bowl. Make your life a bit easier with this non-spill water bowl.
- Stainless Steel: Excellent material that is dishwasher-safe and also durable.
- Non-Spill: Designed in such a way to prevent spillage over the sides of the bowl.
- Removable Rubber Hose: The rubber hose can be easily removed to clean.
- Affordable: It’s a great choice for those sticking to a budget.
- Potential Poor Copy: This bowl has been imitated in the past using poorer quality of materials. When purchasing the bowl, it’s best to ensure that you’re buying from the right company.
- Automatic refill: the Stainless steel cat & Dog water bowl dispenser slowly dispenses water to...
- Spill free Auto dispenser: curved steel base allows pet parents to easily lift the dog waterer...
This next bowl is perfect for those who want to make sure that their beloved dog is still able to access water when they’re gone. With a stainless steel bowl, a jug of water rests attached to it and slowly fills the water as it’s emptied. For those who have to be gone for a long time, this bowl is perfect for ensuring your dog continues to stay hydrated in your absence.
- Stainless Steel Bowl: Many other gravity-driven water jugs use plastic bowls. This one provides stainless steel.
- Fills Up When The Bowl Is Empty: It keeps around the same level of water. Your dog is sure to have plenty of water while you’re gone.
- Spill-Free: The jug is attached in such a way that limits the chances of water spillage.
- Water Jug Not Dishwasher Safe: You have to brush the jug and use soapy water in order to clean it.
- Collapsible Design - The dog travel bowls can collapse completely flat, easy to storage, clip onto...
- Very Durable and Safe: The collapsible dog bowls are made of 100% Premium silicone at Food Grade,...
If you’re out and about with your pup, you can’t count on there being a place for them to get a drink. Carrying a normal bowl is clunky and not very practical. These collapsible bowls make life really easy when you’re on the go with your dog. Pop them up for a quick drink and collapse them just as quickly. Since they’re made from silicone, they also dry really quickly and are easy to wipe clean.
- 100% Silicone: Soft yet durable, food-grade, BPA free.
- Dishwasher Safe
- Bright Colors: The bright colors help them stand out and make them less likely to get lost.
- Collapsible & Portable: When you’re finished, you can simply wipe them out, flatten them, and clip to your backpack or leash.
- Some mentioned that they don’t match the color they expected to get. A minor detail in our opinion.
Water Them Wisely
When it comes to the best product, it’s really going to depend on your needs. If you just need a standard water bowl, you can’t go wrong with the YETI Boomer 8 Stainless Steel no-slip bowl. If making sure your pup has the freshest water at all times, the Pioneer Pet Big Max Fountain is your best option.
Last update on 2021-10-19 at 16:50 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API