You found your furry best friend dragging their bottom across the carpeted floor. Not a pretty sight. Nor is seeing encrusted blood and/or pus around your friend’s anus.
After visiting your veterinarian with this problem, you learn that your dog is suffering from an anal gland problem. Your vet recommends changing your dog’s diet to a high fiber dog food that will help manage that ‘problem from the rear.’
Love and concern prompt you to find the best high fiber dog food for dogs with anal gland problems.
Add Good Fiber To Your Pups Diet With These:
- Glandex Anal Gland Soft Chew Treats (chewable fiber bites)
- Fruitables Canned Pumpkin Superblend (high-fiber food topper)
Causes and Symptoms of Dog Anal Gland Issues
A dog’s anal glands are located just inside the anal opening. The two glands sit on the left and right side of the interior walls of the anus. These glands secrete a liquid that helps dogs mark their territory whenever they relieve themselves. The scent alerts other dogs (and cats) that a particular dog has been there.
Anal gland problems can develop due to poor diet, heredity, constipation, or food allergies. When the anal glands become clogged, an infection can occur. This can cause the area to itch or feel painful. There is also the possibility that the anal glands can rupture.
Symptoms to watch out for:
- Dragging (scooting) their rear end across the floor
- A foul odor coming from the base of the tail
- Patches of pus or blood around the anus
- Excessive licking of the rectal area
Steps to Take
If you’re like me, you don’t want to see your best friend suffer. Luckily, there’s a remedy that can bring an end to this unpleasant situation; it’s high fiber dog food. It can contain fruit, flaxseeds, pumpkin, whole grains, carrots, and beets.
When your dog eats high fiber dog food, it will produce a firmer stool, and when your dog pushes it out, the anal glands will secrete their liquid much easier.
The choice of which dog food to purchase for your dog depends on whether he/she has issues with any ingredients listed on the package. Is the dog food for an adult dog, puppy, or senior dog? Are the instructions complicated? Finding a replacement or supplemental dog food can be a challenge if your dog is a picky eater. Whichever one you chose, the main ingredients (pumpkin, fish, chicken, venison, etc.) should be listed first.
Best High-Fiber Dog Foods & Treats
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY ANAL GLANDS: Glandex is scientifically formulated to support healthy anal glands....
- GUARANTEED TO BOOT THE SCOOT: Glandex results are guaranteed to help your pet "Boot the Scoot!” in...
This high fiber supplement is designed to work well with dogs of all sizes. Your dog should be at least 3 months (12 weeks) old before giving him/her this product. Glandex chew treats are peanut butter flavored. Dogs love the taste of peanut butter (who doesn’t?). This supplement will keep anal glands working correctly with its digestive enzymes and probiotics to support a healthy digestive tract.
These chews work at the underlying causes of anal gland problems and help the natural emptying of the sacs. This will eliminate the need for frequent visits to the vet for gland evacuation by hand. Its use is also recommended by vet specialists and veterinarians all around the world. Glandex is made in the U.S.A.
- Reduces inflammation and firms the stool
- Contains pumpkin seed, probiotics, and digestive enzymes to keep the glands healthy
- Comes with guidelines to let you know how many treats to give your dog based on their weight
- Made with antioxidants and omega fatty acids
- Soft and chewy texture with peanut butter flavor
When you add Fruitables Gluten-Free Digestive Supplement to your dog’s regular dog food, you’ll be giving your four-legged friend the help they need to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract. Fortified with ginger and spearmint to soothe upset tummies, as well as tighten loose stool and help with constipation. Aside from being gluten-free, it contains pumpkin and other fruit and vegetable fibers that will supply antioxidants to regulate digestive tract upset. These ingredients also contain vitamins and nutrients to produce energy for your pup.
- Contains Vitamin B5 (creates blood cells and energy), Vitamin B6 (immune system), Vitamin B9 (growth/development), Vitamin B12 (brain and nervous system maintenance)
- Can add up to 10% to your dog’s regular food to support proper nutrition and healthy digestion
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your dog’s natural love for meat, this high...
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates including...
This dog food was developed for the well-being and health of your dog. It is made with real chicken, which will accommodate your dog’s natural desire for meat. It is also grain-free. If your dog has a sensitivity to wheat, soy, or corn, you won’t have to worry about them having a tender tummy or allergic reaction. My brother had a dog that couldn’t eat dog food with any type of grain in it. The grains caused the dog to scratch a lot and have diarrhea. After much research, suitable meat-based dog food was found. Hooray!
- 100% Grain Free
- Promotes healthy hair and skin because of the Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids
- Has phosphorus and calcium to help build strong bones and teeth
- High-quality protein in the chicken and fish to maintain strong muscles
- Contains healthy carbohydrates from potatoes, carrots, and peas
- Can be purchased as wet, canned food
- Contains (1) 13 Pound Bag Of Dry Dog Food (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
- Grain-free, limited ingredient diet with a single animal protein source
Natural Balance Inc. is proud to carry this line of dog food that has a limited amount of ingredients for your dog to consume. It is grain-free, promotes digestive health, and helps to maintain your dog’s healthy skin and coat. They have a variety of flavors (Sweet Potato & Fish, Potato & Duck, Sweet Potato & Venison, Beef, Chicken, etc.) for every age and size of your dog. If your dog prefers wet food as opposed to dry food, they have you covered. Natural Balance L.I.D. is an excellent choice if your dog has food sensitivities or if you just want to keep their diet simple.
- Provides amino acids and protein to promote strong muscle tone
- Contains sweet potatoes to provide a digestible source of energy
- Includes Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids to maintain your dog’s coat and healthy skin
- Lists guidelines to suggest how much to feed your dog based on their weight
- Not all pet food retailers carry the full Natural Balance product line
- Contains (1) 12 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Real salmon is the ingredient
With its perfect balance of salmon, sweet potato, and pumpkin ingredients, this grain-free dry dog food is easy to digest. Your dog will be getting an abundance of vitamins and nutrients to keep him/her active and looking pretty. Since it’s grain-free, you and your furry friend won’t have to worry about the presence of soy, wheat, or corn that can cause digestive or allergic reactions.
- No artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors
- Salmon, chicken or lamb ingredients are always listed first on the bag
- Does not contain poultry-by product meal
- Recommended feeding guidelines included
- Can be purchased as canned wet food
The High Fiber Winner Is…
After reviewing our five contestants for the best high fiber dog food for dogs with anal gland problems, Glandex is the clear winner. This product was made to specifically address the painful anal gland issue.
Glandex Anal Gland Soft Chew Treats contain the digestive enzymes and probiotics needed to maintain healthy anal glands by targeting the underlying cause of the problem. This supplement helps the anal sacs empty on their own. Glandex gets rid of that foul fishy odor and the blood/pus around the anus. With the disappearance of the blood, discharge, itching, and pain, the constant licking will cease, as well as your dog’s need to scoot across the floor.
If your dog is a picky eater, they might not want to switch to another brand of dog food. The peanut butter taste of these treats will encourage your four-legged family member to wolf down their daily-recommended dosage.
When your dog’s anal glands function the way they should, the need for constant vet visits for gland evacuation by hand, also known as expressing, will be significantly reduced if not eliminated. This will rekindle your long-distance relationship with your wallet and its contents. Spend it on fun dog activities like toys, trips to the dog park, or more Glandex.
Last update on 2022-05-18 at 22:50 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API