Cockapoos are a breed of dog that has become incredibly popular in recent years.
Take a Cocker Spaniel, mix a bit of Poodle, and the end result is these cute bundles of fluff with an affectionate and friendly temperament.
This breed takes the best aspects of a Cocker Spaniel’s personality and mixes it with the fact that Poodles are a very hypoallergenic breed to form a dog that is perfect for the majority of households.
But having a dog and knowing what to feed them are two very different things, and it can be hard to know what to feed your Cockapoo.
That’s why we’ve put together this handy guide to the best dog food for Cockapoos, to ensure that your furry friend gets all the nutrients they need for a healthy and happy life.
These are some of our favorites!
|Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Dog...||Check Price on Amazon|
|Nature's Recipe Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Chicken,...||Check Price on Amazon|
In a hurry?
If you need dog food for your Cockapoo in a hurry, we’d recommend buying the Wellness Core Grain-Free formula.
It is packed with lots of great nutrients and other excellent features that make it the perfect option for your puppy, including:
- Choose between turkey or chicken flavor, and 4, 12, or 26 pound bags.
- Customize depending on your dog’s sensitivities, including grain-free options and limited ingredients options.
- Promotes whole-body health with antioxidants, taurine, glucosamine, and fatty acids.
- It contains a high amount of natural protein that is sourced from fresh ingredients to supply your dog’s joints and muscles with lots of support.
Review of The Best Dog Food for Cockapoo
Our favorite dog food for Cockapoos is Wellness Core Grain-Free Food.
This dog comes in two flavor options and you can choose between deboned turkey or chicken depending on which your dog prefers.
You can also choose between 4, 12, and 26 pound bags, allowing you to purchase a larger bag if your dog likes the food.
This food is an excellent option if your dog suffers from a sensitive stomach as you can choose the grain-free option or the option with limited ingredients.
It supplies all the nutrients that you need for full-body health, including omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, taurine, and probiotics, to promote good health in every aspect of your dog’s body.
It is made in the USA with fresh ingredients, making it one of the best options for your Cockapoo.
- Available in deboned turkey or chicken flavor.
- Choose between 4, 12, and 26 pound bags.
- Available in grain or grain-free recipe or with limited ingredients if your dog has a sensitive stomach.
- Contains omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, and taurine for whole-body health.
- Made in the USA with quality-sourced ingredients.
- A high concentration of protein from fresh ingredients for excellent health.
- No notable drawbacks.
Other Great Dog Food for Cockapoo
- The Taste of the Wild ancient stream; with smoked salmon; real fish is the 1st ingredient; high...
- A combination of ancient, whole grains like Grain sorghum, millet, quinoa and Chia seed which are...
- Formulated to AAFCO and FDA requirements and considering the latest research, by a team with...
- Ingredients from Trusted, Sustainable sources around the world; made with no corn, wheat, filler; No...
Another excellent food option to give your Cockapoo is Taste of the Wild Grain-Free food.
This is also a great option if your dog suffers from a sensitive belly as you can buy it with/without the grains.
You can also buy it in a puppy formula if your Cockapoo is still young.
It uses real fish as the first ingredient, guaranteeing lots of protein for your dog that will allow them to form and maintain lean and strong muscles.
It also contains chia seeds, quinoa, and other ancient whole grains to ensure that your dog gets a balanced meal.
On top of this, it excludes anything artificial and avoids fillers and other common allergens, making it one of the best options for your Cockapoo.
- Available in different options, including grain/no grain, and puppy formula.
- Choose between 5, 14, and 28 pound bags.
- Uses real fish as the first ingredient for lean and strong muscles.
- Contains ancient whole grains, including quinoa and chia seed, for extra protein.
- Excludes corn, wheat, filler, artificial flavors, preservatives, and colors from the recipe.
- High in nutrients for optimal health.
- No notable drawbacks.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality...
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and...
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits a precise blend of...
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with...
We also love the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula.
This option comes available in three different meat options, including chicken, fish, and lamb, mixed with brown rice to provide a balanced meal.
It is available in 6, 15, and 30 pound bags and uses real meat as the first ingredient for high-quality protein.
It also includes Blue Buffalo’s LifeSource Bits that include vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which can enhance your dog’s diet and allow them to lead a happier and healthier life.
With support for the immune system, oxidative balance, and life stage requirements, there’s no doubt that this is one of the best options for your Cockapoo.
- A variety of flavor options including chicken, fish, and lamb, all of which come mixed with brown rice.
- Uses real meat as the first ingredient for high-quality protein.
- Available in 6, 15, and 30 pound bags.
- Contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to meet the energy needs of your dog.
- Includes LifeSource Bits, including antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for optimal health.
- Supports immune system health, life stage requirements, and healthy oxidative balance.
- The quality differs from batch to batch.
- Contains (1) 24 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient
- Easy-to-digest recipe, with nutrient-dense, healthy sweet potatoes and pumpkins
- Formulated for all breeds and lifestages, from puppies to senior dogs
You should also consider Nature’s Recipe Grain-Free Formula. This dog food takes sweet potato and pumpkin then mixes them with a variety of different meats.
These meats include salmon, lamb, and chicken, allowing you to choose the one that your Cockapoo likes the best.
It is available in 4, 12, and 24 pound bags and is perfect for dogs of all breeds and ages.
It is designed with all-natural ingredients excluding anything artificial from the recipe.
It uses real meat as the first ingredient which is enhanced with vitamins and nutrients to provide your dog with the best diet possible.
It is easy to digest due to the vegetables including in its recipe and is undoubtedly one of the best dog foods for Cockapoos on the market.
- Contains sweet potato and pumpkin with either salmon, lamb, or chicken.
- Choose between 4, 12, or 24 pound bags.
- Uses real meat as the first ingredient, enhanced for optimal nutrients.
- The recipe is easy to digest due to the sweet potatoes and pumpkin.
- Perfect for dogs of all life stages and breeds.
- All-natural ingredients with no wheat, soy, corn, artificial flavors, or preservatives included.
- Trace ingredients mean this formula is not suitable for dogs with a chicken allergy.
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. bag of IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Small & Toy Breed Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken
- 1st ingredient is real, farm-raised chicken
- Promotes skin and coat health with omega-6 fatty acids
- Builds strong muscles with quality-sourced protein
Finally, you cannot forget about IAMs for adults formula. IAMs is a leading company when it comes to dog food, so we had to include one of their recipes on this list.
This food is designed for small dogs and toy breeds and is available in both 7 and 15 pound bags.
It uses real, farm-raised chicken in its recipe ensuring high-quality protein for your dog’s muscles and bones.
It contains antioxidants to support your dog’s immune system, and also comes with omega-6 fatty acids to maintain your dog’s skin and coat.
With its yummy chicken flavor and other excellent features, this dog food is guaranteed to be a success with your Cockapoo.
- Available in 7 or 15 pound bags.
- Designed for small dogs and toy breeds.
- The first ingredient is real, farm-raised chicken.
- Promotes skin and coat health through the use of omega-6 fatty acids.
- Quality-sourced protein ensures excellent muscle strength for your dog.
- Contains antioxidants to support your dog’s immune system.
- Some dogs only like this food when it is mixed with wet food.
Cockapoos are lovely animals, but it can be difficult to know what to feed them.
Just as for any other dog, the key things that you need to look for in your dog’s diet are balance and nutrients.
It is both a balanced diet and the nutrients included in the food that allow your dog to lead a healthy life.
(As well as proper exercise, of course. See our Complete Exercise Guide to learn more.)
Based on this, let’s take a look at the key things you should look out for when buying food for your Cockapoo.
Dog food labeling can be quite confusing and even misleading. This Dog Food Guide will help you sort out the facts and steer clear of bad ingredients.
A key thing that dog food gives your dog is energy. Just like with human beings, dogs get their energy from a certain part of their diet, and that is carbohydrates.
While dogs do not eat carbohydrates in the same sense that we as human beings do, balanced dog food will include a balanced portion of carbs within its formula.
Dog food will include cereal grains to provide your dog with carbohydrates.
These grains are absorbed in your dog’s intestines and used to give them the energy to lead the active lives that Cockapoos do.
Skin and Coat
Another ingredient that is often included in dog food works to aid their skin and coat.
In many dog foods, this is included as a ‘feature’, but it isn’t so much a feature as essential if you want your Cockapoo to eat a balanced diet.
The main ingredients that you will see in dog food to aid your dog’s skin and coat are omega-3 and -6 fatty acids.
The main reason that these ingredients are added is to improve the quality of your dog’s skin and coat; however, they also have some other health benefits.
These fatty acids can also help manage inflammation in your dog’s joints.
This is a great thing if your dog suffers from hip dysplasia, a condition to which Cockapoos are predisposed to.
Another key ingredient that you will find in dog food is included to aid muscle health. The majority of dog foods will source this from the main ingredient in their food, meat.
The natural protein that is found inside of the meat is a great way to ensure that your dog has healthy muscles and joints throughout their life.
Additionally, protein is a great source of energy for your Cockapoo, ensuring that your dog has all of the energy they could possibly need for a day full of fun.
One thing that can be difficult when you have a new dog is getting the portions for their meals right.
This is especially hard when you get a dog as a puppy and all they want to do is eat. All the time.
If you are unsure how much you should feed your dog, you should aim for roughly four meals a day when they are a puppy, and this should decrease as they grow older.
But if you are still unsure, most dog food manufacturers will include feeding guides on the packaging for their food which can be very helpful with portioning your dog’s meals.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Breeds Form a Cockapoo?
A Cockapoo is one of many breeds of dogs that would have once been known as a mutt.
Ever since the first Labradoodle (we cover Labradoodles extensively here) was bred, crossbreeds have now become a breed of their own, and this has had a direct impact on their cost.
A Cockapoo is one of these ‘designer’ crossbreeds and is a mixture of a Cocker Spaniel with a Poodle.
There are some variations in the breed, with some breeders using either a King or Miniature Poodle instead of a Standard Poodle to alter the size of the dog.
The Cockapoo is one of many different ‘designer’ breeds of dogs which have been bred using the Poodle breed to ensure that they do not shed hair.
You’ll find a ton of helpful information specific to Cockapoos here on our Cockapoo page.
How Many Times Should I Feed My Cockapoo a Day?
The number of times that you should feed your Cockapoo a day will be affected by their age and other factors.
Up until your puppy is 4 months old you should aim for approximately four meals a day, and then reduce this as your puppy ages.
Once your puppy is past 6 months old, you should opt for feeding them about two meals a day and continue this pattern throughout their adulthood.
However, you could choose to feed them four smaller meals rather than two larger meals, depending on your dog’s preferences on food.
If you’re struggling to figure out a specific feeding schedule or have other questions about Cockapoos in general, we’d recommend picking up a Cockapoo guidebook, like this bestseller on Amazon.
With contributions from leading breeders, it will give you a deep insight into the breed and help you to understand your dog better, which will lead to a more fulfilling relationship.
All your questions will be addressed, including those that you haven’t known to ask yet! It’s a must-have for all Cockapoo owners!
What Health Problems Do Cockapoos Have?
All breeds of dogs have common health problems that have been inherited through years of breeding within their family line.
While crossbreeds tend to have fewer health problems than pedigree dogs, there are some conditions that Cockapoos are more prone to.
These include issues with their eyes, such as glaucoma and progressive retinal atrophy, as well as the risk of hip dysplasia, which is common in lots of dog breeds, and kidney and blood clotting disorders that are common in Cocker Spaniels and Poodles.
Last update on 2021-01-24 at 20:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API