Owning a pet means providing it with proper care, including dental care. Your dog’s teeth are important, and they require specific care.
There are many ways you can help prevent plaque and tartar buildup and protect your dog’s teeth and gums.
Understanding Tartar and Plaque
Tartar and plaque can grow on teeth and become hard and difficult to remove. Tartar can only be removed with professional cleaning, but plaque can be removed before it hardens.
When plaque hardens, it can stain the teeth and lead to inflamed gums. It’s best to clean your dog’s teeth regularly to avoid dental and gum problems.
What Is Tartar?
Tartar is a buildup of minerals on the teeth. It comes from a dog’s food and water. It sticks to the teeth and eventually hardens and stains them.
It can be prevented by regular cleaning and brushing, but if it forms and is left untreated, it can cause tooth and gum problems.
Tooth Plaque vs. Tartar
Plaque usually comes before tartar. It forms as bacteria that sticks to the teeth and along the gum line. It can be removed daily with proper brushing and teeth cleaning.
Tartar is caused by minerals that stick to the plaque and become hard. While the two are related, they are caused by different substances.
Effects of Tartar Buildup
If tartar is left untreated, it can cause inflammation of the gums, which can lead to gum diseases such as gingivitis. It may eventually lead to missing or failing teeth and tooth decay.
How To Remove Tartar From Dog Teeth
Tartar is plaque that has hardened on the teeth and can only be removed from a professional veterinarian or dental professional.
The following methods can remove plaque before it hardens and turns into tartar.
#1. Professional Cleaning By Vet
Schedule dental cleanings regularly with your veterinarian to ensure your dog’s teeth are cleaned properly. The dentist can remove plaque before it hardens and turns into tartar.
Your veterinarian will schedule the appointments ahead of time to ensure your dog’s teeth are cleaned often to prevent gum disease and tooth decay.
#2. Brush Teeth With Dog-Safe Toothpaste
There are many dog-safe toothpaste options on the market that can help you keep your dog’s teeth clean at home and in between professional cleanings.
You can brush your dog’s teeth at least once a week to remove plaque and help keep the teeth and gums healthy.
Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste
- FOR DOGS AND CATS: Enzymatic toothpaste specifically formulated using an enzyme system for dogs and...
- SAFE FOR DAILY USE: Includes no foaming agents so this toothpaste is safe for pets to swallow
Enzymatic toothpaste is a type of toothpaste that contains special enzymes that help fight bacteria from growing on the teeth and gum lines.
It can help protect the teeth even without daily brushing. It’s safe for dogs and has a flavor they love.
Arm & Hammer Dog Teeth Cleaning Kit
- PROMOTES HEALTHY GUMS - Dog dental kit is gentle yet effective in reducing tartar buildup,...
- MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Natural ingredients ensure optimal dental health for your dog with a...
This cleaning kit has everything you need to keep your dog’s gums and teeth healthy.
The toothpaste has a flavor that dogs enjoy, and the toothbrush is soft enough that it won’t irritate your dog’s gums with regular brushing.
#3. Provide Dental Treats & Chew
There are many dental treats that are made to help clean the dog’s teeth when the dog chews them. These treats are enjoyable for dogs and keep the teeth clean between dental appointments.
Merrick Fresh Kisses
- One (1) 22 - count bag - Merrick fresh kisses double-brush dental dog treats with mint breath strips
- All-natural dental treats for dogs that clean teeth and truly freshen breath
These treats are shaped like small toothbrushes that have little ridges that can move against the gums and gum lines as your dog chews on them.
They are safe for dogs and have a good flavor and texture that feels great on your dog’s teeth.
Greenies Dental Treats
- Contains one (1) 36 ounce 36-count pack of Greenies Original Regular Size Natural Dental Dog Treats;...
- The unique texture of Greenies Dog Chews cleans down to the gumline to fight plaque and tartar and...
Greenies are also shapes like toothbrushes and other shapes that have different ridges and lines that get in between teeth and around the gum lines.
As the dog chews on the treats, they remove plaque before it can harden and become stuck on the teeth. They work similar to a toothbrush and leave your dog’s breath smelling nice.
#4. Brush Teeth With Baking Soda
Baking soda is also safe to use on dogs. It has a rough texture that allows it to move along the teeth and gum lines to remove plaque before it can harden.
It can be mixed with water or dog-safe toothpaste for brushing.
#5. Offer Antlers and Real Bones
Antlers and real bones are also capable of removing plaque and debris from the teeth. As dogs chew on the bones, the plaque wears against them and comes off the teeth before it can harden.
- Made IN USA -THE PERFECT WHOLE ANTLER CHEW BUNDLE. Each pack contains 6 deer antlers for Small dogs,...
- A MUST HAVE FOR YOUR SMALLER DOG’S HEALTH & CHEWING INSTINCTS - Free of any added ingredients,...
These are made from natural sheds, so they are safe for dogs. They come in different sizes and are hard enough to remove the plaque but also gentle enough for dogs to chew on regularly.
#6. Provide Dental Toys
Dogs don’t care about their dental health, but they do like to have fun.
There are many toys that are designed to help clean the teeth and gums to protect your dog against gum disease and tooth decay.
Your dog can chew on these toys and play with them daily to enjoy clean teeth between professional cleanings.
Hartz Chew’ n Clean Tuff Bone
- Satisfy your dog's natural urge to chew while promoting the dental benefits of clean teeth and...
- Includes a medium version of our signature Tuff Bone for dogs 20-50 pounds
This toy has special teeth to remove plaque and food stuck in between teeth and along the gum lines. The prongs are soft and flexible, which means your dog will enjoy chewing on them.
They can also be used for fetch and other games to make them even more fun for your dog.
Toothbrush Stick Dental Toy
No products found.
This chew toy is made so your dog can hold it in place and easily chew on it from all angles. You can also stick it to the floor so your dog can enjoy it in one location.
This chew toy has prongs on it that can move between the teeth and along the gums. The prongs are soft and flexible but won’t break off and cause a choking hazard.
#7. Use Dental Wipes
One of the fastest ways to clean your dog’s teeth is to use dental wipes. These wipes are made of a special dog-safe solution that removes particles and plaque from the teeth.
Most dogs don’t mind the dental wipes because they can be used on their teeth quickly and don’t have a bad flavor.
MAXIGUARD Dental Cleansing Wipes
- CLEANS TEETH: fights plaque and tartar and eliminates bad breath
- POWERED BY NEUTRALIZED ZINC: innovative formula promotes oral hygiene and defends against...
These wipes can be used instead of brushing to clean the teeth. They are specially formulated to remove the plaque and any dirt or food debris that may be stuck on the teeth.
They have a flavor dogs like and are gentle enough to use daily.
Vet’s Best Dental Care Finger Wipes
- CLEANS TEETH & GUMS – Vet's Best Dental Care Finger Wipes for Dogs & Cats provide an effective way...
- FRESHENS BREATH - Regular use will help in reducing plaque build-up and promote fresh breath.
These wipes fit on the fingers and make it easy to swipe your finger around the gum line and all the teeth to remove the plaque and food debris.
Dogs also don’t mind because they taste good and they work quickly.
#8. Dental Water Additive
For dogs who refuse to allow their teeth to be cleaned, you can use dental water additives.
These additives have special enzymes that break down the plaque and food debris on the teeth to help make teeth and gums healthier without brushing and in between dental cleanings.
TropiClean Fresh Breath Oral Care
- Fresh Breath Oral Care Water Additive provides dental defense against plaque & tartar on the teeth...
- Dental Health Solution is formulated with a unique blend of ingredients for a healthy mouth and...
This additive gives your dog fresh breath and has a special blend of ingredients that are safe for dogs and help to remove plaque from the teeth.
This can be used with brushing or in place of brushing, and it doesn’t change the flavor of your pet’s water.
Pets Are Kids Too Premium Pet Dental Spray
- Puppy breath in a bottle - Instantly eliminate bad dog and cat breath: Cure your pets’ breath on...
- Pet dentist in a bottle - Tooth spray eliminates tartar, plaque and gum disease. Life threatening...
This oral solution can be sprayed directly onto your dog’s teeth. It softens the plaque and debris around the gum lines to remove the plaque more easily.
The next time your dog chews a toy or eats, the plaque will be more easily removed.
It is important to clean your dog’s teeth just as you would your own. While dogs may not like to have their teeth cleaned, it should still be done regularly.
You can schedule regular dental cleanings with your veterinarian and use multiple methods to clean them in between professional visits.
Last update on 2023-03-21 at 09:23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API